Cost of electricity, is this brutal or am I a wimp?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
85 ah, not like car batteries. Gonna get another one when I get the next panel.

I take a volt/amp meter to the shop to test em before I buy them, got caught out on one that had been sitting idle a few years back.

I will be investing in another deep cycle. The one I have right now is a piddly little 35ah.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Check your electricity meter outside of the house and see I'd it is spinning g around like crazy. If this is the case then you need to get your electric company out there to investigate because something is wrong there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Check your electricity meter outside of the house and see I'd it is spinning g around like crazy. If this is the case then you need to get your electric company out there to investigate because something is wrong there.
These are digital meters. I would like to give it some percussive maintenance...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
We use gas for central heating, cooking and hot water. Electricity for lighting, power, airconditioning, underfloor heating (bathrooms, kitchen) and propagator in greenhouse.

Electricity charge is approx. 12 pence (UK) per kWh.

We have 16 x solar panels and produce just about 3,900 kWh per year. The government have an incentive scheme to install, on grid, solar panels. We get paid 15p per kWh produced whether we use the electricity ourselves or whether it's fed back into the grid. Plus - we get 4.8p for every kWh fed back into the grid. This is called the Feed In Tariff (FIT)

Today it is a mixture of sunshine and cloud and we have produced 9 kWh at 3 p.m. Yesterday we only produced 3.5 kWh and the day before it was 19.6kWh.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My friend who lives in Canada told me about peak time charges for electricity too, and she can only do laundry at a certain time of day. I am in Michigan and I believe we have a flat rate throughout the day and night.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm somewhat familiar with the Ontario Hydro bills, being a dual resident. It seems to me that even if you put off all your use to non-peak times, you really don't save much. So much of our electric bill is comprised of
-Transmission Cost Fee
-Debt Retirement Fee
-Delivery Charge
-and every other fee you can think of.

Reaction score
I believe we have a flat rate over here, but it's a fact that during summer we are supposed to get some kind of discount, because everyone uses a fan during that time of the year. During winter we don't get that, but it's ok because we don't really use electricity that much. We are going to get the new digital meters soon... a lot people has complained their electricity bill is bigger since they got those.

Ask a Question