Clay?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Based upon all we've been discussing in this thread an idea is forming that should work well for me!

For a few years I've been turning big parts of my back lawn into wild flower meadows. The biggest problem you face is trying to really reduce the nutrient levels in the soil - too many nutrients and grass dominates and you don't get many flowers. One approach people use is to scrape away all of the topsoil. That was too much work for us so we just put down tarps to kill of a lot of the grass in the winter prior to starting our wild flower areas. It works over time at slowing down the grass, but a slow process.

I have some more lawn areas that I want to convert to wild flower meadow. I also have need for huge amounts of material to create compost. So really I have my solution.

Mark out the areas where I want wild flower meadow (in my garden it's all sweeping curves with paths meandering through - so very aesthetic).

For a year or two sow crop after crop of peas, beans etc. Anything that'll strip nutrients from the soil. Use that to make compost for the manicured lawn areas.

When enough nutrients have been stripped from the soil sow a wildflower meadow mix suited to soil and climate (so don't fight nature). Continue to use the hay harvest from that as composting material.

In short, by converting half of your lawns to wildflower meadow you can generate enough compost from the wildflower areas to achive the result you want in the manicured lawn areas. My 'manicured' lawns are now mostly clover - I just let the cuttings drop on the soil and thus far I'm happy with the result. I guess in a way I'm turning my 'manicured' lawns into wildflower meadows with low lying wild flowers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the problem is, he's talking about his lawn.

I have quite big lawns and have always used the grass clippings to create compost for the flower/veg beds or used it for mulching the flower/veg beds. This is all well and good, but ultimtely each time you cut the grass and remove the cuttings elsewhere you're depleting nutrients in your soil where the lawn is.

If you leave the grass clippings on the lawn you'll retain minerals etc in the soil, but it doesn't actually do much to make your clay soil more drought tollerant.

So, if you have a lawn and want to maintain (or improve) the soil under that lawn - AND if you have veg and flower beds that you need compost for - then you need to bring something in.

Adding things like clover and wild flower to lawns will help. I'm thinking of things like comfrey borders around lawns, or letting borage self-seed. If this is all 'chop and dropped' back into the lawn it will help. But if your lawn is low in minerals etc you need to bring something in. Not least because you've now lost a big source of material previously used to create compost for flower and veg beds.
We have beaches nearby and can collect seaweed. That, coupled with cut down comfrey and borage can be scattered over the lawn. I then plan to go over it with the lawn mower (without a collection bag) to shred it into tiny bits and spread it all over the lawn. You could also do likewise by collecting fallen leaves from neighbours or in the street. In time this has to help. I also have access to manure, but wouldn't have space to store a huge amount to rot down. So thinking about how I might get a bit of manure spread on the lawns.
Oh I thought this was in the Lawn Section.

Our lawn is so bad we have only mowed it once but there isn't much grass.

Planting I'm told off on it because the yard is not to be planted.

I was told not to buy a Catcher for my Rider to catch Leaves because my Son has a Electric Push Mower with Catcher.

I'm like I would spend way too much time emptying it.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The greenest bits of my lawn are, by a mile, the clover. I'm pretty much replacing the grass with clover.

It might be worth seeding it with clover - once established it quickly takes over.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are in bad need of rain. Our Lawn is hard as concrete because the soil is heavy Clay.

I contacted our Extension Center. She said Compost.

Well great on a small area but this is acres.

Got any ideas?

big rockpile
You can't change Mother Nature so don't even try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You can't change Mother Nature so don't even try.
The problem is (I'm just realizing this in my own garden) a lawn isn't natural. So the very fact that you have a lawn is changing Mother Nature. The price you pay is less draught tolerance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Went just North of here it is looking bad and Fireworks are still ok. Fire Chief was on TV if it is crunchy under foot best to not set off Fireworks because it will burn. Really!

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use to live in Colorado Mountains and you had to work for Lawn or Garden.

It was funny seeing people watering with Snow on the ground.

It was dry enough that my wife could ride a Motorcycle to work with foot of Snow on the ground.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Had Clay also. I did Compost, Peat and Mushroom Soil. For the more dense garden beds rototilled them first, adding bags and rototilled again, like mixing and mixing. For single plantings of shrubs, trees etc. did extra wide hole, took out the clay, mixed some of it with top soil, or mushroom soil. put the plant in then back filled it with the mixture, added a bit of epsom salt also. I did a whole slope once with a rototiller, (younger years), mixing in those bags. Where you don't want a bed etc. just leave alone. Preparing of the ground equals success.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Son had to put Corner Post in so bought an Auger, it wouldn't work.

Rented a Bigger One. Went down 4 foot and it was very dry.

The one he bought is good for planting.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Had Clay also. I did Compost, Peat and Mushroom Soil. For the more dense garden beds rototilled them first, adding bags and rototilled again, like mixing and mixing. For single plantings of shrubs, trees etc. did extra wide hole, took out the clay, mixed some of it with top soil, or mushroom soil. put the plant in then back filled it with the mixture, added a bit of epsom salt also. I did a whole slope once with a rototiller, (younger years), mixing in those bags. Where you don't want a bed etc. just leave alone. Preparing of the ground equals success.
You do realize I'm talking about a huge Lawn?

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the case of a "huge" lawn, you need to get that rolling spike thing, put a cement block on it as weight and roll it around with your riding mower. that will help break up the clay.
Got one setting out front. Right now I'm afraid it is just too dry and would kill what I have.

Was thinking also it would be good doing with part of my Leaves.

Getting bad Farmers are only getting a quarter of the hay they usually get.

Crazy thing is Fireworks are still legal.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Got one setting out front. Right now I'm afraid it is just too dry and would kill what I have.

Was thinking also it would be good doing with part of my Leaves.

Getting bad Farmers are only getting a quarter of the hay they usually get.

Crazy thing is Fireworks are still legal.

big rockpile
We actually brought truck loads of top soil to our lawn, and working it in, planted more grass seed. this was many years ago. but it works. Even today, we still need to throw some grass seed down. always, trying different types. Our property is wooded, so lots of shade. We have some patches of moss and wild violets, I leave alone. after a while you can 't fight city hall. But, we do get lots of leaves in the fall, and have to get them all up. worst thing leaves, they will kill what grass we have. We have lots of leaves, so don't go saying to just mow and leave, We have so many leaves, if we were not to rake at all the depth would be mid calf simply waking about the front yard.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Poorer than Poor so bringing in that much soil is out of the question.

Leaves most the time have just blown them and burnt them.

This year going with Compost.

Funny couple years ago I bought a New Blower. Went out to get it. Looked? Are you kidding! Someone had walked off with my Blower left a Chainsaw worth much more laying there. Then next Spring they took a Snagging Rod.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
We have so many leaves, have developed several methods. One is blowing to a hug long pile, then rake pile onto a hug tarp, then drag tarp to the woods behind the house. Those piles are 12 X12 feet, and I climb into them to turn the roll the leaf filled tarp to the top. another way, my lawn more and two baskets, around and around, first the chopping then the sucking up then the riding to the burn pile to dump. This is an on going process beginning mid-Sept. and ending February or March.

Ask a Question