Citrus leaf tips turning brown, over watering?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I planted a seed I found in a sumo mandarin about a year ago and it sprouted 2 seedlings. Planted them both and they seemed to be doing great for the last 7 months, but about a week ago this one had a couple of leaves have their tips turn brown. Now a few more leaves have started to turn brown as well. I’m not sure if I am over watering them, or if I’m doing something else is wrong. I’ve watered both trees about once a week since winter started in California and I have been fertilizing them with fish fertilizer and blood meal about once every 3 weeks. The other tree seems to be doing fine aside from its growth slowing down, but I’m worried about this tree. Any advise on how to stop any further browning of leaves?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_2504.jpeg
    IMG_2504.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2505.jpeg
    IMG_2505.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The yellowing is most likely over watering but the brown tips might be over fertilizing with to much N. Maybe a combination of both.

Underwater can also start turning the leaves a lighter color but the all leaves become droopy.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
United States
The yellowing is most likely over watering but the brown tips might be over fertilizing with to much N. Maybe a combination of both.

Underwater can also start turning the leaves a lighter color but the all leaves become droopy.

MOD
Thanks MOD. I think you are right and it may be too much fertilizer and over watering. Should I stick to watering them with purified water to wash out some of the solutes out of the soil? I’ve been using tap water for about 2 months now, maybe I should switch back to purified drinking water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tap water depends wether your water has fluoride. I use tap water but it comes from a well. There are filters you can buy for this application. I dont know of any since I have well water. I have seen videos and read about them. I would lay off the N for while.

A good buddy told me to weight my pot. I was underwatering at 14lbs I know I need water since I weighed it dry. In my case the pot would not absorb the water. Had to let wayer sit in watering plate than prevents the water from leaking for an hour. Be careful as this will kill citrus if left to long. I also tend to over water then under water. In my opinion citrus is hard to care for indoor. I have not been to successful. Once it goes outside it does so much better.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tap water depends wether your water has fluoride. I use tap water but it comes from a well. There are filters you can buy for this application. I dont know of any since I have well water. I have seen videos and read about them. I would lay off the N for while.

A good buddy told me to weight my pot. I was underwatering at 14lbs I know I need water since I weighed it dry. In my case the pot would not absorb the water. Had to let wayer sit in watering plate than prevents the water from leaking for an hour. Be careful as this will kill citrus if left to long. I also tend to over water then under water. In my opinion citrus is hard to care for indoor. I have not been to successful. Once it goes outside it does so much better.

MOD
Thanks MOD, I’ll lay off the N for a while. I’m planning on watering them with purified drinking water again. It’s been cloudy for the past couple of weeks in CA so I’ll water them once the top of the solid dries. I’ve been watering them about 1 time a week lately.

Ask a Question