Buddleia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have just joined and would appreciate help with my established white Buddleia, she is around 3 meters and we have been unable to prune her this year..... wondered what would happen if we didn't would last years dry blooms drop off? she normally flowers by the end of May should I leave pruning until then and hope for a second flush?
Thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Buddleia is extremely tough, and it takes a lot to damage it. You'll get a few flowers if you leave it, but I would probably cut it right back now if it was mine. Three meters seems a bit too much to me, and it might be a good idea to cut it much lower than that so that you are able to actually see the flowers without having to use a pair of binoculars :giggle: It will grow again quite quickly at this time of year, and flower a bit later.
So many people are afraid of hard pruning, but it is, so often, the very best way to encourage good bushy growth.
Generally speaking, aim for cutting shrubs just below eye level, for optimum results.
Welcome to the forums, and by the way, that is one gorgeous dog on your avatar 🥰

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks we will follow your advice and cut back this week :)
Our pup is a little special and loves to hide my hand tools around the shrubs......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed the England flags too - good one (y) I just posted a super version of ' Jerusalem ' on the thread ''What's looking good....'' you might like !! Y'know, what with St George's day and all that.

Ask a Question