Birdhouses

Reaction score
Thelovelyone, I had four of my birdhouses that had residents this last year. There are two that I think are ones that come back each year but not 100% sure on that. It's neat to watch them come and go as they are bringing in twigs, leaves etc to build up their nest inside the house. It's amazing all the twigs etc that are in there when I clean them out in the winter.

Reaction score
In my backyard of many years ago, during my married days, I had about 3 birdhouses and several flower gardens. I had the birdhouses and the bird feeders as well. The challenge with the bird feeders was to keep the squirrels from eating up all the bird seed. I put a plastic oval shaped top over the feeders that was supposed to keep them away but some of them still managed to get to the feed.There was this elderly gentlemen that lived a few miles from me that made very nice 2 and 3 story birdhouses, and the guy would sell them really cheap. He could easily get $40-$80 bucks for many of his creations but he would sell them for $5-$20 ...

It's funny that I logged in just a few minutes ago to start a new thread about a couple of indoor gardening projects. One picture that I was going to post was a ceramic birdhouse that I purchased at Walmart for about $5... I stuffed the inside (the bottom comes off) with leaves and dirt, and I have a pinecone in the round entrance ... check it out ..I'll take another picture in a month or so. Those are cuttings that I had in water, so there's lots of room for growth.

hanging-birdhouse-plant.jpg

Reaction score
The bird houses are very pretty. Hopefully someday i will be able to make one or at least buy one. Do the birds really go inside the houses? I live in Florida and I seldomly see any bird houses around. Most of the birds just sit in the trees and they come down to eat when necessary.I plan to have a house within the next three years and I will definitely have a bird house in my yard. I love looking at birds and having them around. Right now, I just go to the park and watch them--can't wait until I'm able to step outside my home and watch them from there.

Welcome aboard .. I agree with tmann, the birds move in during a certain time to nest and lay eggs, then they abandon ship, so to speak. It's almost like having a tenant that moves out of an apartment, a month or so later, someone else moves in .. I've not figured out why the birds leave such nice homes, but maybe it has to do with migration.. and the bird house can be empty for several months before another family moves in..

Reaction score
This reminds me that I have a box in storage full of birdhouses that I inherited from my mom. I really don't know where to put them. Do you just clean them out and nail them up?

I have a lot of space on my property. There is a carport just outside my kitchen window. If I put a birdhouse on the side of the carport I would be able to see it when I'm washing dishes and preparing meals, I suppose. Some of the birdhouses are very pretty and some are rustic. One of them was made by my uncle for my mom and I would like to put that one up first, for sentimental value.

Reaction score
I used to have a problem with the squirrels eating my bird food as well, then instead of trying to prevent them from getting to my feeders I decided to make a feeder for them. I buy deer corn and feed them that, they really seem to like it and it keeps them out of my feeders. Deer corn is not too expensive either.

Reaction score
Blueiris, check out this link it is from this forums sister site that I belong too and I talk about my squirrel friends. The squirrel feeder is really easy to build, it is basically a box with a hinged lid on it and you need some sort of platform for them to stand on. They will figure out how to open it after a few hours, they seem to be pretty smart. There are a few squirrel pics in the thread.

http://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/6900-squirrel-friends/

post-3043-0-11257100-1339366957_thumb.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks, Tmann! I think I have all the materials to make such a feeder, here around the house somewhere. Right now, the squirrels dig in my container plants, a lot, and it is so frustrating. Maybe if I give them something to eat they will leave the potted plants alone!

Reaction score
I used cedar fence boards to make mine. You can get them at HD or Lowes for a couple of bucks for a 5 or 6' tall by 5" wide, I think that is the measurement.

Reaction score
Here's another pic of my squirrels resting after eating. He is laying on an old concrete birdbath that used to be mounded up and then I grew moss on it. Two years ago I had my drip irrigation system hooked up to it but this past year the valve went bad on my irrigation system that feeds this zone so it was not operational at all and hence the moss ended up dying. going to give it another try this year.

P1040024.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Here's another pic of my squirrels resting after eating. He is laying on an old concrete birdbath that used to be mounded up and then I grew moss on it. Two years ago I had my drip irrigation system hooked up to it but this past year the valve went bad on my irrigation system that feeds this zone so it was not operational at all and hence the moss ended up dying. going to give it another try this year.

View attachment 392

This squirrel is so adorable, I love it. It looks so happy and so lazy. It's funny, in my country squirrels look completely different, their hair is almost orange. Here is a picture:

ruda-galaz-wiewiorka.jpeg

Jed

Reaction score
This squirrel is so adorable, I love it. It looks so happy and so lazy. It's funny, in my country squirrels look completely different, their hair is almost orange. Here is a picture:

ruda-galaz-wiewiorka.jpeg
Such wild fur. It reminds me of my daughters new boyfriends hair. Orange Mohawk.:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Jed, lol, now when I'll see a squirrel, I'll think about your daughters boyfriends hair:p . I'm sure it makes him look quite unique:)
I found a picture of lovely birdhouses:

bird2.jpg

I like how colorful they are, it's a home for birds and a nice decoration at the same time:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I used to have a problem with the squirrels eating my bird food as well, then instead of trying to prevent them from getting to my feeders I decided to make a feeder for them. I buy deer corn and feed them that, they really seem to like it and it keeps them out of my feeders. Deer corn is not too expensive either.
I am feeding both the birds and the squirrels, too. The squirrels take the bird feeder lid off and eat the corn and sunflower seeds, and whatever else they want out of there. I guess maybe the idea of getting them some deer corn is not a bad idea, and then maybe they will leave the bird feeder alone.
They also got into my garden, and dug up the the sunflowers that I planted and ate the seeds, so now I need to replant my sunflowers, and probably the corn as well..... Pesky critters !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuFlungPu

Latest Threads