Bilingual ?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was sick the day they taught metric at school, I speak enough spanish to get into a fight and I speak dirt very good.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I speak UK English, bit of French & Spanish, can be silly in German, Turkish & Welsh. But I can't understand my relatives from Birmingham.

I can do the old and the new money.

Two Farthings = One Ha'penny. Two Ha'penny = One Penny. Three Pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences = A Sixpence. Two Sixpence = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bob = A Florin. One Florin and One Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Note = One Pound (or 240 pennies). One Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated.

You can write a cheque in Guineas and it'll be accepted but you can't transfer them in or out of an account because they don't actually exist :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is metric??? No, just kidding. I know what it is, but I will run away and hide if I am ever forced to remember and use the system. We Americans are weird with our Farenheit system, but you could say the same for the fact that we have 50 states in one country too!

Reaction score
Country
Spain
It's the exact opposite for me, of course. Metric is so odd and confusing. I suppose its true for everything we learn growing up in comparison to what others learn.

As far as literal languages, I remember taking Spanish class in school and thinking "this is such a weird language", but from what I hear, English is actually one of the toughest languages to learn.

I don't really remember anything from the two and a half years of Spanish classes, but I do remember one thing, though...

¿Puedo usar el baño?

Its also funny how different parts of the US have their own words. For instance, very few people know what a bubbler is, but around here its used all the time.

Hahahahah, great, "usar el baño" is very important indeed xD
I am bilingual, I usually speak on my native language, but I also use sometimes english and catalan, it depends on the person and the place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Hahahahah, great, "usar el baño" is very important indeed xD
I am bilingual, I usually speak on my native language, but I also use sometimes english and catalan, it depends on the person and the place.
It might sound silly, but I like knowing there are other people in this forum, even if it's only one, who speak Catalan, too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I speak metric with one exception. My brain prefers inches to centimetres. I guess it's because a centimetre is so small!

For some crazy reason I studied four languages in high school, but I've long forgotten two of them. I can still follow a conversation in Afrikaans fairly well, but don't have the confidence to speak it, so I'll usually answer in English.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
When it comes to baking it is Celcius but when it comes to body temperature it is Farenheit. :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I talk Fahrenheit and Celcius, Miles and Kilometers, Meters and Yards.

How about you?

I can do all those fairly easily and can think in them, as well as in Kelvin, but will always use Imperial measurements if it's going to annoy people here in England. :whistle: :LOL:

I did 7 years of French and 5 years of Latin and German at school but it takes a while to remember it - if pushed to it. Between my wife and myself we can muddle along bit in Spanish, Greek, Portuguese, Arabic, Hebrew, Hindi and Bengali.

Some of the dialects and accents here in England I find totally impossible to understand. :(

I can still follow a conversation in Afrikaans fairly well, but don't have the confidence to speak it

I can only swear in Afrikaans :ROFLMAO: That's about all I learnt when I was working out there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
Bilingual ?
No.

I talk Fahrenheit and Celcius, Miles and Kilometers, Meters and Yards.

How about you?
Celsius, kilometers, meters...

I speak Portuguese... And I can read and understand written English (today in real time, I was very slow when I started). To understand spoken English depends on several factors and I am usually very bad at it because of the lack of many things required for this. But my goal was never to speak it, just being able to understand and read is enough.

but from what I hear, English is actually one of the toughest languages to learn.
Not sure if I learned it. But it was somewhat easy till here, but I have been learning English because I am "addicted" and I was extremely interested in it during my childhood. There were some tricks I had to figure out myself... There were even some things the books did not tell me about, which I then learned in forums and internet chats like these.

I know it still has some errors here and there but I cannot even write perfectly in my own language let alone a foreign one... Then I feel discouraged to improve it more. Shame on me. :cry:

Today, I lack interest to learn other languages. Fortunately, English have been quite useful and I still love it.

Thank you!

I apologize for any inconveniences I may have caused.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
No.

Celsius, kilometers, meters...

I speak Portuguese... And I can read and understand written English (today in real time, I was very slow when I started). To understand spoken English depends on several factors and I am usually very bad at it because of the lack of many things required for this. But my goal was never to speak it, just being able to understand and read is enough.

Not sure if I learned it. But it was somewhat easy till here, but I have been learning English because I am "addicted" and I was extremely interested in it during my childhood. There were some tricks I had to figure out myself... There were even some things the books did not tell me about, which I then learned in forums and internet chats like these.

I know it still has some errors here and there but I cannot even write perfectly in my own language let alone a foreign one... Then I feel discouraged to improve it more. Shame on me. :cry:

Today, I lack interest to learn other languages. Fortunately, English have been quite useful and I still love it.

Thank you!

I apologize for any inconveniences I may have caused.
You English is great. I envy people who know another language.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qcurrys

Latest Threads