Bilingual ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I talk Fahrenheit and Celcius, Miles and Kilometers, Meters and Yards.

How about you?

:rolleyes:

p.s. let's hope they don't start messing with HOURS of daylight!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Nope, barely monolingual. When the push for the metric system was on I was on the short list for remediation! Fortunately, there were enough of us who couldn't grasp metric that it was given up. Ignorance rules!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nope, barely monolingual. When the push for the metric system was on I was on the short list for remediation! Fortunately, there were enough of us who couldn't grasp metric that it was given up. Ignorance rules!
I speak fair English but am fluent in Texan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I can understand spanish and speak enough of it to get in a fight. :rolleyes: And I know a lot of texan too. Osmosis or something. I know the meter stuff too, just not as good as miles and feet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Chuck, I am still working on speaking Texan. After 17 years I'm gittin' the hang of it, but some still baffles me. A neighbor asked me to "carry" him to town. I'm a big strong gal, but he's bigger. I was so relieved to find out he just wanted a ride into town!
I studied Spanish, spend a year in Spain, and taught Spanish. The Mexican dialects have me baffled. A neighbor in town once told me I spoke Spanish "like a book." Luckily it was a book she could read, and I could understand about half of what she said. We still had a warm friendship based on sign language and pointing!
Sign language and pointing doesn't work with the metric system . . . .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, I am still working on speaking Texan. After 17 years I'm gittin' the hang of it, but some still baffles me. A neighbor asked me to "carry" him to town. I'm a big strong gal, but he's bigger. I was so relieved to find out he just wanted a ride into town!
I studied Spanish, spend a year in Spain, and taught Spanish. The Mexican dialects have me baffled. A neighbor in town once told me I spoke Spanish "like a book." Luckily it was a book she could read, and I could understand about half of what she said. We still had a warm friendship based on sign language and pointing!
Sign language and pointing doesn't work with the metric system . . . .
I have had educated people ask me to compile a Texan dictionary but it is hard to do because everyone else talks so strange:geek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I talk Fahrenheit and Celcius, Miles and Kilometers, Meters and Yards.

How about you?

:rolleyes:

p.s. let's hope they don't start messing with HOURS of daylight!!!
They already have. They took an hour of sunshine away when they invented Daylight Savings Time. Damn guvment":devil:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I speak better Metric than the confusing American way. Metric makes much more sense, sorry guys ;)

As for languages, Catalan, English, Spanish from Spain, and a little bit Italian. Forgot Russian and German. Too difficult if you don't practice them. I can understand Texan pretty darn good, too :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I speak better Metric than the confusing American way. Metric makes much more sense, sorry guys ;)

It's the exact opposite for me, of course. Metric is so odd and confusing. I suppose its true for everything we learn growing up in comparison to what others learn.

As far as literal languages, I remember taking Spanish class in school and thinking "this is such a weird language", but from what I hear, English is actually one of the toughest languages to learn.

I don't really remember anything from the two and a half years of Spanish classes, but I do remember one thing, though...

¿Puedo usar el baño?

Its also funny how different parts of the US have their own words. For instance, very few people know what a bubbler is, but around here its used all the time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Like Bruce Willis from the movie, "The Fifth Element":

"Look lady, I only speak two languages. English, and Bad English."

For everything else, there's Google. Conversions. I should have this stuff memorized by now, but I have too much to remember as it is, some gets lost in the noise.

But Metric would be easiest, even though I'm US. Thank you, drugs, for teaching me the way? *(Coughs)* *(Looks around)*

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
But Metric would be easiest, even though I'm US. Thank you, drugs, for teaching me the way? *(Coughs)* *(Looks around)*

Ha: Been a beer drinker my whole life, so no metrics learnt here.
Soda comes in a liter size, but I don't drink that either. besides I'm sixty one and cranky, and don't plan on learnin nothin new.
Now, get off my lawn! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I speak snow storm, ice, freezing temperature, and digging out in the winter. For summer I speak rain, squirrels eating my tulips, grass and flowers blooming. Other than these, I don't talk much :)

Reaction score
I speak just 3 languages, 2 Germanic languages and a romance one :p I am not entire fluent in one of them tho, but I'm working my way to fluency, or at least keeping a decent conversation. I might learn a 4th language later on, that for professional purposes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefcommander

Latest Threads