Aminopyralid weedkiller contamination in manure - a proposed testing process

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have an abundant supply of horse and cow manure from the farm next door. I have one of those large composting dalek's jam packed full of manure I collected last year. However, I got wind of the horror stories about aminopralid weedkiller contamination and am nervous about using it. I have done some tests with peas grown in pots of the manure but I read that it can take time before the poisoning takes effect.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing - please give me your thoughts.

Top off the dalek with some compost then plant a winter squash in it.
Buy a second dalek to fill with fresh manure this year (it will grow next year's squash).

So, the manure won't go on my beds until it's rotted down for nearly 2 years and had a squash plant grown in it.

Do you see any flaws in the plan? Any way to improve on it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
G'morning Susan. Zigs is growing some spuds on top of his compost (y) The quickest and easiest way to check the content of the manure would surely be a proper, in depth conversation with the farm owner/manager. I'm pretty sure he/she would have all the information you need, and it would also be a good opportunity to bring up the general problems facing farmers, and a mention of what is happening in Holland :unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
G'morning Susan. Zigs is growing some spuds on top of his compost (y) The quickest and easiest way to check the content of the manure would surely be a proper, in depth conversation with the farm owner/manager. I'm pretty sure he/she would have all the information you need, and it would also be a good opportunity to bring up the general problems facing farmers, and a mention of what is happening in Holland :unsure:
I'm on very good terms with the farmer - a very nice family. But they're in their 60's and set in their ways I guess. Two issues:

1. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. It seems a bit rude when being offered a free, valuable resource to 'poke' at it.
2. I'm not sure if they would know for certain. I mean, they'd be able to tell me what they spray on their fields (I've never seen them spray anything. But would they know about any hay they've bought in? I'm not 100% sure I'd completely trust their answer.

If it ever comes up naturally in conversation I'll ask, but for now I'd rather just do my own test. It's apparently cropping up in lots of commercial brands of manure, so I don't think it's always easy to know the history of your manure.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on very good terms with the farmer - a very nice family. But they're in their 60's and set in their ways I guess. Two issues:

1. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. It seems a bit rude when being offered a free, valuable resource to 'poke' at it.
2. I'm not sure if they would know for certain. I mean, they'd be able to tell me what they spray on their fields (I've never seen them spray anything. But would they know about any hay they've bought in? I'm not 100% sure I'd completely trust their answer.

If it ever comes up naturally in conversation I'll ask, but for now I'd rather just do my own test. It's apparently cropping up in lots of commercial brands of manure, so I don't think it's always easy to know the history of your manure.
:LOL: 60's :eek: That's about the same kind of age group my kids are in - and when I think of it a couple of them can be annoyingly set in their ways too - not like their mother !!
Sometimes it pays to take a few risks, and go with a gut feeling. Living with that kind of fear seems rather much to someone like me and I would rather go with the local farmer than some of the chemical muck that is spread willy nilly through the community by the authorities. Mind you, I have always followed the motto ''If in doubt, don't''
If I was dealing with the same quandry, I would pop in with the word ''aminopralid '' and say ''can I pick your brain Fred'', or Sid, or whatever his name is - and ask him what it is and what the problems there might be with it, and how anyone can tell where and when it is used. It is not a word I have ever heard of before. If anyone you know would understand it all - he is the best bet.

Ask a Question