A Good Intro & Reference Book (or Books!)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone!

I'm a relatively new gardener and I'm going to start a vegetable plot in a community garden in zone 6b. I'd like to minimize my use of chemicals, and do everything pretty organically but, before I get going, I want to educate myself. After all, I'm new.

I'm really struggling to find a good intro book or two that can teach me all the core concepts, help with design, choosing plants, trouble-shooting, and understanding what's happening in my garden. I'd like something that works as a reference and which would also empower me to make my own smart decisions about what's going on. I don't just want to have a productive garden, I want to understand my productive garden! Does that make sense? What books do you recommend?

Thanks!

Chris

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Everyone!

I'm a relatively new gardener and I'm going to start a vegetable plot in a community garden in zone 6b. I'd like to minimize my use of chemicals, and do everything pretty organically but, before I get going, I want to educate myself. After all, I'm new.

I'm really struggling to find a good intro book or two that can teach me all the core concepts, help with design, choosing plants, trouble-shooting, and understanding what's happening in my garden. I'd like something that works as a reference and which would also empower me to make my own smart decisions about what's going on. I don't just want to have a productive garden, I want to understand my productive garden! Does that make sense? What books do you recommend?

Thanks!

Chris
There are two authors I suggest. Malcolm Beck and Howard Garrett. They are the best I know at Organic Gardening and have numerous books about everything gardening. Beck died last year but Garrett aka Dirt Doctor.com is still very much alive. Check out his website.

Ask a Question