8 July 2016 Vegetable Juice (Carrots, beets, collards, broccoli, and basil).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/July%202016/8%20July%202016%20Vegetable%20Juice/HTML/ 8 July 2016 Vegetable Juice (Carrots, beets, collards, broccoli, and basil).
Vegetable juice was made from fresh garden vegetables, carrots, beets, collards, broccoli, and basil. About twelve pounds of material was prepared and placed in a cooking pot and covered with water. The material was cooked until soft about 20 minutes then blended into a homogeneous slurry. The material was strained through a 2 mm mesh food mill then the residue was put through a Champion juicer to extract maximum nutrients. The juice was then placed in liter jars and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. Annotated pictures depict the process.
dsc_01228%20july%202016%20vegetable%20juice_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I love adding beets to juices that I make...they have that very distinct flavour but also the colour is so lovely and rich.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, the color of your juice is so rich! I had carrot and beet juice before, but your mix sounds interesting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Wow, the color of your juice is so rich! I had carrot and beet juice before, but your mix sounds interesting.

I add anything that is abundant from the garden to make about ten pounds of produce if there is not enough of the main vegetable, which usually makes 7 liters of juice, the maximum capacity of the pressure canner per batch.

Beets enhance the red color of tomato juice. When processing tomatoes often a couple of beets are added.

The commercial tomato juice industry must be adding a coloring to their product to get the deep red color, since cooked tomatoes are not a saturated red.

Ask a Question