‘Extinct Squash’ Grown From 800-Year-Old Heirloom Seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
People often ask how long you can keep seeds for - well, the answer is, that under the right conditions you can keep them a very long time!

‘Extinct Squash’ Grown From 800-Year-Old Heirloom Seeds

A species of squash believed to be extinct has been grown from 800-year-old seeds found at an archeological dig.

A group of students in Winnipeg, Canada, proved that heirloom seeds can be viable even if they have been buried for centuries. They had a feast in September to celebrate the discovery.

Gete-okosomin-seedkeepingDOTtumblerDOTcom1-400x314.jpg

Pretty cool eh? (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Definitely cool! I know edible honey has been found in Egypt's pyramids, but I had never heard of seed being viable for so long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That is absolutely amazing! I read the article to see why exactly this squash went extinct but there was no mention. Hopefully (and I am sure they will) they propagate this squash and make seeds available to all. I was just thinking, if these 800+ year old seeds were still viable, what is the length of time a seed can go without being planted. I guess I have Jurassic World on the mind, but wouldn't that be sweet if some of the plants from millions of years ago could be brought back? Imagine a 6 foot wide sunflower!!!

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
What an interesting and amazing story! It would seem almost impossible to have fruit from something so old so it must have some magical properties and I would look into it a little further.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is amazing and I love the color of that squash!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amelia2322

Latest Threads