Yams

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'd like to try and grow yams this next year but am unable to find them in the US. Does anyone know where I might be able to get yam tubers? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know of no place in the US to buy either seeds or seed tubers of yams. The closest place that I know of that grows them is in Jamaica. Sweet potatoes on the other hand are everywhere. Most seed companies have them and then there is the grocery store.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have two sisters that love purple potatoes and they bought them from the grocery store. They cut them up and got them rooted before planting them in the soil. I would love to do the same but I haven't found one that have a great taste yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have two sisters that love purple potatoes and they bought them from the grocery store. They cut them up and got them rooted before planting them in the soil. I would love to do the same but I haven't found one that have a great taste yet.

I find purple potatoes are kind of bland, I plant red potatoes be because of the flavor, come spring I'm also going to plant Yukon gold potatoes for my winter stock pile. I'll do yams if I can find room for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
From what I know, yam is a tropical tuber so I'm not sure if they grow in the US. The planting material for yam is the small tuber that appears over ground while the tuber underground is the one eaten. The fruits in the vine are small like beet that is easy to grow. An advice to those planning to plant yam, fill a half sack with soil and plant the yam there. When it is harvest time, there would be no need of digging the soil for the tuber.

Ask a Question