Worm tubes for the garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I figured as much that is why I also had seeds for different varieties of lettuce plants to go on the sides. The tomato would go on top. LOL I pretty much was on that same idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I figured as much that is why I also had seeds for different varieties of lettuce plants to go on the sides. The tomato would go on top. LOL I pretty much was on that same idea.

Double check tomato companions before you do that. Different plants take and leave different things from the soil and I don't remember tomatoes and lettuce being symbiotic. Parsley or mint would likely be better as the mint could trail down the sides of the container.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This kind of container would work better for strawberries, lettuces, and low growing herbs.

Plants can grow in whatever environment they can get their roots on.

This is what I'm thinking for the strawberries, a PVC (4" or 6") tower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Plants can grow in whatever environment they can get their roots on.

Yes, they will, but as illustrated in your photo, tall plants are not suited for this type of container, whereas low growing plants planted this way will increase your crop yield. Plants don't just need root space, some need vertical and horizontal supports, especially when bearing fruit as tomatoes do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is what I'm thinking for the strawberries, a PVC (4" or 6") tower.

Good luck with it. I tried one of those hanging bags and it was a complete fail. I hung it from a bracket at the top of a corrugated metal "fence" so one side didn't get any sun (didn't plant on that side), but the water didn't seem to be distributed evenly so the runners didn't root well and some of the "mothers" dried out.

This looks like an areoponic tower, and those don't use soil, but recirculate a liquid "food," so it would possibly be more successful. A supermarket here grows basil on the roof with these.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

Just had another thought, be sure you choose a compact tomato variety such as a low bush or a patio plant. They don't spread as much and are well-suited for containers so they will do better for this kind of gardening project. Just remember to feed them regularly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Now that I did not think of. LOL I would have been very upset if things did not work right with this.

I am going to start with my basil plant this week. I will post pictures of what I am doing with it. I have an interesting idea for it. When I get it started I will post a thread so you guys can tell me what an idiot I am. LMAO

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am going to start with my basil plant this week. I will post pictures of what I am doing with it. I have an interesting idea for it. When I get it started I will post a thread so you guys can tell me what an idiot I am. LMAO

You are hilarious! Basil is basically a seasonal plant for most people so if it doesn't go well, you won't have to look at it for long :)~

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I hope it works though. Especially since rather then get warmer, it has gotten colder here, so I can't do any planting outside as of yet. I really is a bit of an issue for me because I was hoping to get things started soon but mother nature decided to be a capital B this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I hope it works though. Especially since rather then get warmer, it has gotten colder here, so I can't do any planting outside as of yet. I really is a bit of an issue for me because I was hoping to get things started soon but mother nature decided to be a capital B this year.

Have you ever heard of Wall-o-water? I started a thread about it a while back. I found a person locally who had used them on the east coast before moving here and she said they work great and that she reused them for years. I think it's too warm to use them here.

Ask a Question