Worm tubes for the garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a compost bin going in my yard, actually, I usually have two. When the first one is full, I start using the second one. By the time that one is full, the first one is ready to be sifted and used in the garden. Lately though, I have been thinking about starting a worm tube. It doesn't take up much space, and if I don't bury it, I can harvest the worm tea to use in the garden. It seems a lot simpler and more economical than making or buying worm bins.

Have any of you tried worm tubes in your gardens?

For those who have no idea what I am talking about...

420a9c17211bd11721b97774e24d674c.jpg

28daa5906c0d5d77a7730cefe377bbcf.jpg

Here's a link for that second one: http://midwestpermaculture.com/2012/11/how-to-build-a-worm-tower/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is interesting.
I hate worms, so I'd be much happier if they lived in a tube instead of taking over all the soil in the garden area;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It sounds like a great idea. I might try this in one of my elevated beds.

Look at this setup:

dda900330dfb074b46bab1916f440147.jpg

I am thinking of doing this with rubbermaid tubs. I want to set up a temporary site with large bins in an area where I plan to eventually put in a patio slab.

This is interesting.
I hate worms, so I'd be much happier if they lived in a tube instead of taking over all the soil in the garden area;)

Claudine, worms are very important to the health of the soil in the garden. They aerate the soil and they leave behind castings that feed your plants and help them grow better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Nice set up, ChanellG. For some reason, I would have thought of placing the tubes in the middle, so it could benefit both sides. What do you think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Nice set up, ChanellG. For some reason, I would have thought of placing the tubes in the middle, so it could benefit both sides. What do you think?

I think the tubes in the middle wouldn't give you as much coverage, and they would be in the way of the plants. In the corners like this you can change things around as much as needed without really disturbing the tubes. If you used a container, I could see putting it in the center depending on size, but I think the corner placement is better unless you're only using one tube.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I didn't think about disturbing the plants. You have a point :)

Don't forget about the coverage/benefit of using multiple tubes in each corner. Worms can only process so much at once so having multiple tubes keeps the scraps from piling up and you'll get more beneficial coverage of aeration and castings under the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine, worms are very important to the health of the soil in the garden. They aerate the soil and they leave behind castings that feed your plants and help them grow better.
Yes, I know, but it doesn't change the fact that they completely creep me out. They're so disgusting! I wish they were green and fluffy, so I could like them more;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yes, I know, but it doesn't change the fact that they completely creep me out. They're so disgusting! I wish they were green and fluffy, so I could like them more;)

If worms were green and fluffy they would be the harmful kind, like cabbage loopers or tomato hornworms and I would tell you that you were right to run away from them and hide! Ask @zigs about that enormous hornworm on my tomato plant year before last - when I posted a picture he advised to run for my life, lol. And he is not afraid of anything in the garden!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I did you know

Not quite true, I was afraid of whatever growled at me in the dark the other night I carry a torch when I go in the garden at night now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha:D
When I mentioned a green and fluffy worm, I was imagining something really cute, with big eyes, long lashes and smiling mouth. It would look like a funny stuffed toy:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@claudine, there is one green worm you'd like, it's a butterfly caterpillar and it doesn't look real!

34082bbebdb5b4e637ae372131e7adac.jpg

Those are fake eyes on the spicebush swallowtail caterpillar. Looks like it's from a cartoon!

@zigs, what kind of growl? Mean dog or big jungle cat?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It certainly wasn't a pussy cat, but, as my mate pointed out, I probably startled the fox when I opened the car door, he's always sneaking around the garden :D

Still wary about Panthers though, apparently they only attach from behind :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It certainly wasn't a pussy cat, but, as my mate pointed out, I probably startled the fox when I opened the car door, he's always sneaking around the garden :D

Still wary about Panthers though, apparently they only attach from behind :eek:

How often is someone attacked by a fox over there? I've only ever seen one in person, and only a glimpse at that. Was driving onto a military base in the northern part of the state a while back.

Ask a Question