What kind of winter squash is this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
20170827_121214.jpg 20170827_121236.jpg is a vine and the rine is hard. I reside in Northeastern PA

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If it's not a Zucchini, it might be a type of Cushaw. You'll know better as it matures and gets it's coloring.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, arclsvg!! :)

I also think it is a zucchini.
(A quick google search tells me that a UK marrow is an American zucchini.) :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
An American Zucchini is the same as a British Corgette. :)

A British Marrow, this one is striped but many are just green in colour.
-marrow.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
An American Zucchini is the same as a British Corgette. :)

:oops: You're absolutely correct, @Sheal. Now I can't find the site that said a marrow was a zucchini, but I've read a lot about courgettes/zucchinis!! :LOL:

Apparently, they're native to Central and South America, and when they were taken to Europe, the Italians named them zucchini, and the French named them courgette.

I've tried to find what we call a marrow over here, :confused: but all I can find is "summer squash." I'm not particularly happy with that answer, it seems rather broad and general. :cautious:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Sheal, I'm hoping someone can shed light on it!! (y) Even during the years I had no garden, "What are you growing this year?" is a question I've asked all my friends that gardened, and I've never heard of anyone growing marrow. Also, the vegetable you posted a picture of is nothing I have seen before, whether at a farm market or the grocery. :unsure: :confused:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
According to my research, a Marrow is a mature Zucchini or Courgette. If you pick them young, they are Zucchini, if you wait until they are huge, they are Marrow. (see "Marrow" on Wikipedia)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Most people here think of a marrow as a courgette which has been allowed to grow large, but to me this is not a definitive answer, as there is no cut-off.
I see a marrow as a courgette which has been allowed to cure, on or off the plant, regardless of size.
If the weather is suitable, courgettes can grow quite large, yet still have tender skins and flesh, and no discernible seeds, yet, take a small courgette and let the skin cure and seeds form, and, to me it's a marrow.
Perhaps the difference is that I eat courgette in a number of ways, but always give marrows to my neighbours who like them.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Perhaps the difference is that I eat courgette in a number of ways, but always give marrows to my neighbours who like them.

:unsure: So courgettes are the zucchini I eat in various ways, and marrows are the ones I think are too old? (The ones only good for making bread?) o_O

Mmm... I want zucchini bread! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes that's right MaryMary but marrows aren't considered old, but being larger and more mature are used for cooking in a different way to zucchini (corgette). I haven't cooked a marrow for a very long while. In preparation I would have cut off the ends and scooped out the seeds (much like a melon) and then stuffed it with sausage meat and baked in the oven. If the outer rind is cut off as well then it can be simmered in a pan until soft, but it's pretty tasteless and watery.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes that's right MaryMary but marrows aren't considered old, but being larger and more mature

I didn't really mean old as a length of time, more - sat on the vine too long and had big seeds.:) Your "stuffed marrow" sounds pretty good!

I like your new avatar! :D (And the old one, and the one before, and...) :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I like your new avatar! :D (And the old one, and the one before, and...)

Thank you @MaryMary. :) This current one is an Oystercatcher, my favourite sea bird.

If you're interested you can find various recipes for stuffed marrow on the internet.

@headfullofbees, they are giants! I'm glad I haven't got to fill one of those. :D

Ask a Question