What kind of tree is this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know what kind of tree this is? I live in California and i did not plant it. It, and another just like it, magically appeared and has grown rather quickly. My concern is that they've started growing in a small retaining wall area and i need to know if the roots could be a problem for the wall.
20161105_115028.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi! :) Almost looks like some sort of citrus tree...but then you would have seen blossoms or fruit. (I assume none?) Also I guess you would smell citrus leaves by crushing one.

A close-up pic of the leaves would help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know what kind of tree it is but whatever it is will affect your roof.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I am thinking it might be a ficus. There are several species that grow quickly in warm climates. Take a look at some images and information re ficus trees to see if you find a match with your photo. Some species become enormous, roots everywhere.:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Likewise, I was thinking ficus... They can get really big, though you usually find them in more tropical locations. I can't say how big they'd get in California, but I'd not chance it if it's somewhere you don't want a big tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you happen to live in Newbury Park?? That house/wall/tree looks exactly like the one we had, and ours was a type of decorative apple tree.

Fie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,
It actually looks a lot like Brachychiton populneus (Kurrajong). The shape and texture of the trunk and the shape of the leaves match. I would be really interested in a photo if/when it flowers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

I concur with Fie. This is a Kurrajong (Brachychiton populneus), one of the Australian 'bottle' trees in the Mallow Family (Malvaceae).
Thes eevergreen trees are native to eastern Australia. The leaves can vary in greatly in shape and the swollen trunks can store additional water for the tree's use in dry seasons. The tree also produce unusually shaped and patterned flowers in Summer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is bang up against the wall, and not far from the house wall behind. I wouldn't tolerate it that close, most sources say trees should be a minimum of forty feet from a building. A secondary problem is going to be leaves in the guttering, and possibly problems with insurance if it causes subsidence under the end wall of the house.

Ask a Question