Want some seeds?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I have cleared this with Zig, so if you want some of the offered seeds, just send me a message through the Conversations and I'll give you my address to send a SASE to for the seeds. Please tell me which ones you want, and if I run out, it will be first-come, first-seeded. I can only offer these seeds to USA members, and the seeds are free and I expect nothing in return. The joy of sharing is enough!
Wafer Ash tree (Ptelea trifoliata) which is a short, multi-trunked tree to 15' which prefers partial shade. It is a host plant for Swallowtail butterflies
Rue (Ruta graveolens) which is an herb with a very bitter taste. The main attraction is the blue-gray foliage and its role as a butterfly host
Perpetual Spinach (beta vulgaris) which is similar to Malabar spinach. It is not truly perpetual, as in perennial, but rather self-seeds easily. It is very tasty, easier to clean than the heavily ribbed types, and freezes well.
Dipper Gourd, which I haven't found the botanical name for, but believe me, these things grow! It is best to have a sturdy trellis/fence to support them. The white flowers that develop into the gourds are very pretty, and our bees like them.

Sorry the list is so short, but by the time I realized I could share seeds here, many were past their prime. I'll try to do better next season!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
46282268.disney2005disk1279.jpg

Are these like your dipper gourds? I was looking for pictures of 'em and found this one. I think it's a nice trellis for shade in the summer. I might try something like this next season.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
These are much like our gourds--except some of ours have curved necks. Remember I mentioned needing a very sturdy trellis? Well, some of the gourds took down the wire fencing and laid on the ground and started to curve.
If you try that, I suggest rebar and concrete reinforcing wire for a trellis!

Reaction score
That is so generous of you! I am kind of wrapping it up for the season here but I may be interested in spinach next year. I only want to grow things that I can eat, as I am hoping that my tiny garden might save me a tiny bit on food next year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
DancingLady, I love your Avatar, being owned by a cat myself!
If you want some of the spinach seed, you can get it now and plant it now for spring growth, or in early spring for a slightly later crop. I should have mentioned that this spinach freezes well.
I drop a row in now, and in February or thereabouts, it sprouts and starts to grow. I use thinnings in early salads, and harvest lots between March and late June. Of course, we are in Texas with a warm spring.

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, but I've got more than enough projects to handle in my garden right now without taking on more responsibilities. I think it's awesome you are giving these away though. Hopefully lots of folks take advantage of the opportunity! It's pretty awesome and shows a lot of generosity on your end.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Y'all are too kind--but I'm not being generous. One of life's great joys is sharing, and I'd be getting more than I'm offering in the happiness department!:D

Ask a Question