Unusual Bird in my garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sitting on the lawn this morning .. looked like the type of bird to found along the coasts or marsh land.. had a darkish brown top and wings with lighter brown underpants about the size of a ring dove like bird , much smaller than a wood pigeon , and had a pointed beak about an inch and a quarter long and was probing it into the lawn I think looking for worms ..the legs were not long, maybe 2 inches approximately .. first saw it on the lawn at 6-30 this morning when I switched on the halogen light so probably been there all night ..a real mystery and really hope some of you guys can help ..thanks
Micky

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds nice and I bet a forum for birds will be able to tell you what it is.

It's so nice to have rare or unseen birds or butterflies around near the house. Once I saw a little bird with a big patchy dark coloured head and it turned out to be a duckling as the programme later - several episodes later - focussed on the adult and I had this epiphany that "Ah! That was the little bird I wanted people to identify on this forum!"

Long may we enjoy their presences ..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
472E7AD3-5351-4CBE-A327-D48ABF24B0FC.jpeg
Possibly a Sandpiper Micky?
Hiya Sheal, yes that’s exactly what it looked like.. but what was it doing in my garden , I’m 50 miles from any marshes or estuaries or mud flats .. it’s a chance in millions.. I feel really lucky actually .. thanks for solving and taking time .. Micky

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
There are a few reasons why the bird turned up in your garden. If it was a young bird it may have lost it's way or needed to feed to regain energy. It may have been ailing but I think you would have noticed that. Or it just needed to rest in transit and chose your garden as a likely place. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are a few reasons why the bird turned up in your garden. If it was a young bird it may have lost it's way or needed to feed to regain energy. It may have been ailing but I think you would have noticed that. Or it just needed to rest in transit and chose your garden as a likely place. :)
Hi Sheal, yes I think your exactly right, this Bird was tired and needed rest .. it actually stayed hidden in the garden resting for another 2 hours , before I walked down to see if all was well and then suddenly it burst out of the foxgloves where it was resting and took to the sky at an amazing speed .. the chance of that ever happening again Is zero ...out of all the millions of gardens, it chose mine .. feel very lucky
Micky ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's lovely when something unusual visits our gardens. :) Right now I'm fascinated by all the birds that are coming to my bird table. I wouldn't feed the birds at my last house as the neighbourhood had to many cats. There were also Longtails (r-a-t-s) around because there was very little wildlife that would prey on those.

Ask a Question