Tyres as planters/tires as planters - pros & cons

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I likes the idea of using old tyres/tires as planters. I have couple of them lying around, so I just tried to cut one to check how it turns out.

Here is the pic.

333333333-2-jpg.17418

I am planning to grow grass in them.

Has anyone tried this, do they degrade fast, any new design or shape that would look better.

Are they toxic?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I had a couple that lasted for years, they had the wheel hub still attached so it made a nice stand for them.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Has anyone tried this, do they degrade fast, any new design or shape that would look better.

Are they toxic?

I'd give them a good wash before I planted anything edible in them, but I'd think they were safe after that.

I wouldn't think they'd degrade too fast.

I've seen them scalloped, instead of the star shape - they look like flowers when you turn them inside out. I've also seen them with words carved into the edge. You'd have to cut it in mirror-image, though. Or maybe backwards...hmm, not really sure how you'd do it.:confused:

New designs or shapes? Rajesh, the possibilities are almost endless!! How much time and effort are you willing to put into it? :LOL: How handy are you with your cutting tool? :ROFLMAO:

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

No cutting required for this one!! :)

th

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
In Russia, old tires are the 4th class of danger. This means "little dangerous substances". :) However, they are prohibited on playgrounds for children and in courtyards of apartment buildings. Perhaps, for fear that one of the more curious children would set them on fire. Then, I think, the hazard class will quickly change to the first (extremely dangerous). :sneaky:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
It is amazing how clever people can be. I would never in a million years think to make a chicken out of a tire :LOL:
or drink tea out of a cup made of tire rubber. I do imagine it would be difficult without the proper tools. Rubber degrades quickly in my climate, although painted rubber probably degrades less quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Wow! now I want to collect tyres,;)
cutting tyres is not easy, though side (flat side) of tyre is easy, rim contains wire and the curve one are toughest.:mad: I used a sawtooth kitchen knife/sandwich knife, but one may use chisel and hammer to cut design more precisely.

I don't know if there is any tool available to turn the tyre inside out, it took three men to accomplish that.:cautious:.

That flamingo without legs or pink swan :ROFLMAO: in above post will be really challenging.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There is a tire planter at my grandmother's house that is still going strong after 75 years.....

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Can't think of anything nasty in a tyre, they use sulphur to galvanise the rubber, but that's not gonna do you any harm unless you smoke it :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Here is a video for how to make the basket like the first picture:

The guy in video must be having hand of iron,:confused: I tried with bare hand but could cut only couple of inches after which my hand started to ache. Its better to wear gloves to be safe and to prevent straining muscles.

The trick is one guy should stretch and other should give nick to tyre/tire with a knife.

Ask a Question