Newbie!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, please be patient with me whilst I ask what is probably a basic question for most people on this forum šŸ˜Š

I have 5 large wooden planters in my rear patio, my mum used to plant these up every year with lots of colour for the summer. When she passed I continued this, and although not as impressive as my mother display, they always looked good and I had a combination of more upright flowers/plants alongside plants which draped over the sides. I cannot recall their names but they were of the type commonly found in garden centres.

Fast forward to this year and I have a 5 month old puppy who like most puppies likes to pull on anything remotely ā€œhangingā€ or ā€œdrapingā€.

My question is, what would people recommend me to plant this year which does not drape or particularly over hang but which isnā€™t ā€œthe usualā€ pansy type plants, I do like something a little different but must have lots of colour.
TIA.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Big welcome to you Toria to the forums :) Your mum would be really proud of you for keeping up the planting. How about trying roses. Patio or miniature roses come in loads of different brilliant colours, and the prickly stems would discourage your puppy a bit.
Look for the ones that say disease resistant, and check out some varieties online before you shop. If you sprinkle some forget-me-not seed around the roses for mum that would even add blue to the planters, there are no blue roses.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh that is such a lovely suggestion thank you. Iā€™d never considered miniature Roses. I actually have several large roses, two of which were bought for me after my mum passedā€¦ she was called Rose!

Ask a Question