Type of Bin for compost?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Anyone know what would be the best type of bin to use for starting compost??
A lot of us don't use a bin at all but if you want to use one to make things a little tidier anything that keeps the material into a pile will work. Cement blocks, lumber, fence wire etc. Those revolving drums work OK but they aren't big enough to really make a substantial amount of compost. All a compost pile is is basically organic matter heaped into a pile, kept moist and turned over once in awhile until it rots and is almost soil. There are things you don't put in a compost pile like meats, cheese and most cooked foods and there are things like molasses that you can add to make your pile decompose faster. All of this and more is in the Composting and Recycling forum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
A lot of us don't use a bin at all but if you want to use one to make things a little tidier anything that keeps the material into a pile will work. Cement blocks, lumber, fence wire etc. Those revolving drums work OK but they aren't big enough to really make a substantial amount of compost. All a compost pile is is basically organic matter heaped into a pile, kept moist and turned over once in awhile until it rots and is almost soil. There are things you don't put in a compost pile like meats, cheese and most cooked foods and there are things like molasses that you can add to make your pile decompose faster. All of this and more is in the Composting and Recycling forum
I have gone through the compost section of the forum. Please stop directing me there as I did not find the answer I was looking for. Hence the reason I asked the question I did.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have gone through the compost section of the forum. Please stop directing me there as I did not find the answer I was looking for. Hence the reason I asked the question I did.
Then what are the questions that haven't been answered?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Nicole, the best type of bin for starting compost is open on one side so you can get to the ingredients; there are gaps in the sides so air circulation is possible; preferably there are two bins, one for working compost, and one for finished and ready-to-use compost; and lastly, it is close enough to your house to be convenient, but far enough away just in case it attracts bugs and varmints.
Does this help?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Nicole, The first compost bin I used was a 50 gal plastic trash can with holes in the bottom and a tight lid to keeps the raccoons out of it, Lowes and home depot have compost bins it might be easier to tell what you want by seeing them in person.

Reaction score
You could go to a bigger super market that sells stuff for garden and home improvement. (Whatever they called in your country) And the person working here most of the time gives you help with anything related to bin choosing.

On the other hand you can also use any kind of bin (even a waste bin) just make sure to gets some bigger holes in it, or google for diy compost boxes. There are several good advice online.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment, because my compost bins are full, I have filled a very large cardboard box, with the bottom opened out onto the soil for worm and bacterial access, with a mixture of leaves and cattle manure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Nicole, the best type of bin for starting compost is open on one side so you can get to the ingredients; there are gaps in the sides so air circulation is possible; preferably there are two bins, one for working compost, and one for finished and ready-to-use compost; and lastly, it is close enough to your house to be convenient, but far enough away just in case it attracts bugs and varmints.
Does this help?
This is a big help, thank you so much for your input!

Ask a Question