Think twice before planting ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was reading in another thread and Newleaf4TX (I think it was) said "Mexican Flame vine is toxic to cats, dogs, and horses. All parts of this plant are mildly toxic if ingested and the sap may cause contact dermatitis to those with sensitive skin.", and I thought 'I'm never going to come across it, but good information'. Lots of us have pets, children and grandchildren we care about and it can be good to keep the garden safe, or at least know where the dangers lie. Here are a few that come to mind;
Laburnum, nice little tree, grows pods with seeds that look a little like peas, and are poisonous. The plus is that they are not usually low enough for those you can't explain to to reach.
Euphorbia, the sap is an irritant.
I am told the pollen from the larger lilies is harmful to cats.
Aconite, Monkshood, is poisonous, as is digitalis, foxglove.
Ipomea, morning glory, the seeds are hallucinogenic. Like a lot of the plant hallucinogens I think they make you throw up as well, not nice.
Crocus has poison in it, but I think more in the corms

Anything to add ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jimpson my Son kind of knew what he was doing but he ate some seed beat the something out of his wife thinking she was someone else.

We had it growing next to the Playground at the Church. They just couldn't understand why I wanted it got rid of.

There is lots of House Plants that are kid and pet friendly.

big rockpile

Ask a Question