The best tool to cut through roots?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my new house I have been left with the stump of a bush/shrub (I think). I have been trying to dig it up.

So far I have been using loppers and a spade. I have managed to cut the roots at the front and the side of the stump.

What tool would I be best using to get at the roots t the back of the stump? so I can finally get rid of the stump?

Attachments

• Stump 1.jpg
    Stump 1.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Stump 2.jpg
    Stump 2.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I save long, coarse tooth reciprocating saw blades that become too dull for regular use.

They still seem to be able to cut roots quite well until the dirt abrades all the teeth away. I'll go in a circle around the stump, tilting toward the center of the stump. When done, if I can, I pry up with a bar and cut the center tap root.
In winter, when the wood frozen, the saw cuts much faster. I save the prying until the ground thaws.

Lots of work? Yup.
Good Exercise? I suppose so
Free? Yay!

Paul

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
For small roots the serrated blade of a Hori Hori. I have started suing the oscillating multi-tools (I have a DeWalt, but all the major tool companies have them). It's light, and if you use a larger blade they work well.

Ask a Question