Strawberry plants frosted out

Reaction score
Hello!

I am so disappointed this year. I had hundreds of strawberry plants this last year and it must have gotten too cold (We live in Wisconsin) this last winter. We still have frost, but I went to peak on them today and they all look dead; not even frosted over and green in color, brown/gray in color and dead looking. I doubt many of them will spring back when the freeze lifts.

Did anyone else have this problem this year? I've NEVER had this happen to my berries!

Thanks!

Reaction score
There is a possibility that the roots are still alive. If it were me, I'd continue watering and caring for them as usual, but not count on their survival. That way, you'll be pleasantly surprised if they are alive. I've had that experience with trees and another plant or two, but have not had the problem with strawberries, so I don't know for sure that it would work.

Reaction score
"There is a possibility that the roots are still alive. If it were me, I'd continue watering and caring for them as usual, but not count on their survival. That way, you'll be pleasantly surprised if they are alive."

I would definitely do same.. But never to expect from them too much.

Reaction score
I bet they will be fine, we had a lot of dead leaves and all from last winter and we just burned it all to the dirt. They are not starting to grow and look great.

Reaction score
They may survive and come back. We haven't had frost in a while, but we did have some really cold days here over the winter. I thought I lost my plants too, but this week I started to see some new growth! I would still care for them in case any roots are still there. Just a couple weeks ago mine appeared to be gone completely (first time I had that too) but now they are growing.

Reaction score
Hello!

I am so disappointed this year. I had hundreds of strawberry plants this last year and it must have gotten too cold (We live in Wisconsin) this last winter. We still have frost, but I went to peak on them today and they all look dead; not even frosted over and green in color, brown/gray in color and dead looking. I doubt many of them will spring back when the freeze lifts.

Did anyone else have this problem this year? I've NEVER had this happen to my berries!

Thanks!
Are your plants starting to look alive again? After mine looked completely dead from some crazy weather over the fall and the winter, mine started to show some life a couple weeks ago. As an update, they are growing strong and actually look healthier this spring then they did in the past! But yes mine looked completely dead before with no life at all.

Ask a Question