Strange new growth on plum tree

Reaction score
Hi all! I have a Santa Rosa plum that I grew in a container for a year, and then this spring, transplanted it to the ground. Now that we're coming up on fall, it seems to be having a burst of new growth, which looks very different from the old growth. Most notable is the base, where there is one shoot that looks totally different from the rest of the tree. The old leaves are much smaller, mostly oval, serrated, and about 1-1.5" long. On this new shoot, the leaves are still serrated, more pointy than oval, and up to 3.5" long. The funny thing is, I don't see any signs of the tree being grafted, but I'm guessing it must be? And now it's growing from the root stock? But there's also quite a bit of new growth in the rest of the tree, too, and it doesn't look exactly like the new shoot I just described, OR the old growth, so I don't know what to make of it. I've mostly been a vegetable and ornamental gardener, so this is really my first experience with planting a tree. Any guidance? I'm thinking I should probably prune the shoot at the base of the tree? What about the other new growth? And out of curiosity, does the shoot that I described hint to anyone what the root stock is? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all! I have a Santa Rosa plum that I grew in a container for a year, and then this spring, transplanted it to the ground. Now that we're coming up on fall, it seems to be having a burst of new growth, which looks very different from the old growth. Most notable is the base, where there is one shoot that looks totally different from the rest of the tree. The old leaves are much smaller, mostly oval, serrated, and about 1-1.5" long. On this new shoot, the leaves are still serrated, more pointy than oval, and up to 3.5" long. The funny thing is, I don't see any signs of the tree being grafted, but I'm guessing it must be? And now it's growing from the root stock? But there's also quite a bit of new growth in the rest of the tree, too, and it doesn't look exactly like the new shoot I just described, OR the old growth, so I don't know what to make of it. I've mostly been a vegetable and ornamental gardener, so this is really my first experience with planting a tree. Any guidance? I'm thinking I should probably prune the shoot at the base of the tree? What about the other new growth? And out of curiosity, does the shoot that I described hint to anyone what the root stock is? Thanks!
A pic would help but I am pretty sure of two things. One, if you can't see the graft the tree is planted too deep and two the shoots are coming from the root stock. Dig away the dirt until you can see the root flare and keep mulch from touching the flare. Yes. Cut off the new shoots. Don't touch the new growth. In fact plums don't like to be pruned much if at all.

Reaction score
Thank you. I'll try to take a pic this afternoon, both of the new growth, and of the root area. I bought it from the garden center, tried growing it in a pot, but it didn't like the pot, and I was landscaping backyard and didn't have a place to put it, so this spring I finally found what I thought was a good place for it. But when I planted it, it had more of a "root ball", and honestly, I can just see the top of this root ball area. Is that the same thing as "root flare"?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you. I'll try to take a pic this afternoon, both of the new growth, and of the root area. I bought it from the garden center, tried growing it in a pot, but it didn't like the pot, and I was landscaping backyard and didn't have a place to put it, so this spring I finally found what I thought was a good place for it. But when I planted it, it had more of a "root ball", and honestly, I can just see the top of this root ball area. Is that the same thing as "root flare"?
Send pics. This could very well be an own root tree

Reaction score
I can't wait to see the picture. I am having a hard time visualizing it for some reason.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to Gardening Forums! Looking forward to seeing the photos :)

Ask a Question