Spade

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Zigs I can remember being able to buy black Somerset peat many years ago (decades). I don't think there's been anything since that has come close to that for growing seeds/seedlings and potting up plants.

I saw the reports on the floods at the time but there were only a few pictures. The water certainly covered a huge area and you were lucky not having your home flooded too. Can you remember how long it took to subside?

Thanks for showing the video. (y)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Zigs I can remember being able to buy black Somerset peat many years ago (decades). I don't think there's been anything since that has come close to that for growing seeds/seedlings and potting up plants.

I saw the reports on the floods at the time but there were only a few pictures. The water certainly covered a huge area and you were lucky not having your home flooded too. Can you remember how long it took to subside?

Thanks for showing the video. (y)

There used to be mountains of it on the levels. I don't use it for cacti but Tetters uses it for her plants. Can't understand why an industry that has worked for centuries has suddenly been closed down to satisfy woke idiots demands that everything good and useful in this country has to be destroyed and replaced by something that doesn't work and is worse for the planet than the stuff it was meant to protect :rolleyes:

"By 2010, more than 80% of our peatlands was damaged. Of 5.7 million acres of blanket and raised bog, about 4.4 million acres was degraded and less than 20% of blanket bog was in good condition. The majority of UK peatlands could no longer form peat, having been eroded (16%), afforested (10%), subjected to peat-cutting (11%) or converted to agriculture (40%)."

Now looking at these figures, 20% of peat bogs are ok. 16% have been eroded (this happens to raised bogs, I've seen it up the mountains) Half of them have been ploughed up for farming and trees, so why pick on the 11% that are cut for peat and properly managed?

If they had left the peat industry alone there would still be a peat industry and all the associated areas for wildlife that go with it, without the millions of pounds worth of damage caused by flooding that never would have happened if they'd kept their degrees in conservation in their arse pockets along with their brains.

Ta Sheal :) It took months for the floods to go down, and when they did all the crops and grasslands were dead along with all the soil life...

So much for conservation...

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Got some more pics, the lady inherited it from her father but she doesn't know how he got it because he wouldn't have used it.
1667795605.jpg
25435835.jpg
2026065503.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with what you say Zigs. The powers that be won't wake up to the destruction they are causing until everything is either under water or concrete. Then it will be too late!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with what you say Zigs. The powers that be won't wake up to the destruction they are causing until everything is either under water or concrete. Then it will be too late!

Would have been nice to find the lot from the 1980's and hold them to account for their actions.

Got some more pics, the lady inherited it from her father but she doesn't know how he got it because he wouldn't have used it.
View attachment 101716

Had a look at their website Logan, couldn't see that one for sale anymore but they've got some interesting stuff :)

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Would have been nice to find the lot from the 1980's and hold them to account for their actions.

Had a look at their website Logan, couldn't see that one for sale anymore but they've got some interesting stuff :)

thank you Zigs i'll let the lady know and good that you found something that you liked. Just looked at it and it's expensive.

Ask a Question