Small pond

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am thinking of making a pond. Nothing big but about 12'x6' and maybe 4' deep. I am thinking if I use an old above ground pool cut to size to line it, the weight of the water should hold it in place. Just something to put some water Lillie's in and flowers around the edge to sit beside. A small water pump so it doesn't get infested with mosquitoes.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Small ponds are like boats...your happiest day is when you get one and your happiest day is when you get rid of it.

The maintenance can be demanding. Constant battles with algae, debris, etc. If you are good with that, go for it.

By the way, bluegills are great at eating mosquito larva in mine.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Small ponds are like boats...your happiest day is when you get one and your happiest day is when you get rid of it.

The maintenance can be demanding. Constant battles with algae, debris, etc. If you are good with that, go for it.

By the way, bluegills are great at eating mosquito larva in mine.

I didn't really think about algae. I'd like it to be full of life with some frogs and other things but I wouldn't want a thick layer of pond scum on it. I should probably do some reading before I start digging lol. Thanks for bringing that up Meadowlark.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Several years ago, Hurricane Ike came through here with 100mph winds. One of the things it did was take out a specimen crape myrtle in the front yard that had grown into a huge blooming tree. What to do with the gaping hole left behind by the dead tree?

Naturally, make a pond out of it.

small pond.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Several years ago, Hurricane Ike came through here with 100mph winds. One of the things it did was take out a specimen crape myrtle in the front yard that had grown into a huge blooming tree. What to do with the gaping hole left behind by the dead tree?

Naturally, make a pond out of it.

View attachment 98609

Wow that is beautiful!! Are those orange fish koi?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Thanks. Yes, I have koi, tilapia (for algae), and a couple of walk-up goldfish that owners no longer could care for.

Ask a Question