Small but juicy cantaloupe

Reaction score
Country
United States
My cantaloupe are still producing but they are small maybe half the size or smaller than supposed to be but yet good. Also have 3 small green bell peppers about 1/2 to 1/3 normal size, they are firm may let them grow longer.
My jalapeno plant which produced small fruit is flowering again. Have 1 baby cucumber and that's about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My cantaloupe are still producing but they are small maybe half the size or smaller than supposed to be but yet good. Also have 3 small green bell peppers about 1/2 to 1/3 normal size, they are firm may let them grow longer.
My jalapeno plant which produced small fruit is flowering again. Have 1 baby cucumber and that's about it.
I love the taste of most all melons. Do you think the sizes are just the way that plant is or is that unusual to you in some way? Are they in full sun?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you want success with melons, next to a concrete or brick wall on 3 sides AND a spot with the longest and strongest sunshine is your best bet. I had 2 sweet and juicy melons when I first tried them here. The tendrils were embarrassingly rampant - they nearly went out to the main road. The heat from the traffic, dwarf wall, concrete ground and the full sun had sweeten and expanded the melons and my neighbour was very impressed with it. This year, I tried melon again, but 2 days ago, I had to rip the plants up as they had flowers and at this time of the year, they were really far too late. Will definitely try again next year and compare notes with you all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If like to try cantaloupe again next year as well. I did them last year at the old house and they were ok. I only got two. Nothing better than nice sweet melon!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Because we have an intense afternoon sun, vertical southwesterly oriented trellis works really well for heat oriented leafy vines. They like to make their fruit on the shade side, vertically they breathe and dry well. Once a little bark gets firm at the root they become more impervious to attack. Overall it is a pretty good way to grow a few. The only catch is supporting the fruit. They will hang to some degree but it is an area requiring some creativity. Not my pic btw

iddbexo4ipk11.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Because we have an intense afternoon sun, vertical southwesterly oriented trellis works really well for heat oriented leafy vines. They like to make their fruit on the shade side, vertically they breathe and dry well. Once a little bark gets firm at the root they become more impervious to attack. Overall it is a pretty good way to grow a few. The only catch is supporting the fruit. They will hang to some degree but it is an area requiring some creativity. Not my pic btw

View attachment 46040

LOL! A man obsessed!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I grew up in Salem Illinois and graduated in 1980. The summer prior to graduation my Grandma gave me some Indiana Melon seeds she got from a friend at church. I planted about 8 hills of them, we had so many that we literally couldn't eat them all. Of them all I had 3 big ones, 21 lb, 19 and 17 lbs., they were and still are the sweetest melons I ever ate. Saved seeds from the 21 lb but the got burnt up when my Grandparents house burnt down

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I grew up in Salem Illinois and graduated in 1980. The summer prior to graduation my Grandma gave me some Indiana Melon seeds she got from a friend at church. I planted about 8 hills of them, we had so many that we literally couldn't eat them all. Of them all I had 3 big ones, 21 lb, 19 and 17 lbs., they were and still are the sweetest melons I ever ate. Saved seeds from the 21 lb but the got burnt up when my Grandparents house burnt down

Such nice memories. My sister in law lives in Australia. She said they liked to eat avocados and they were free from trees, but they all ripen at the same time and ended up being wasted. Here one avocado costs nearly £1:eek::eek: after being promoted as magic superfood!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We have friends in N Zealand, they have kiwi growing wild in their gardens.....and none of the family like them :eek:!!!!!! Such a waste:(

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I must try growing some next year. Just buy one and plant the seeds. I might try a pomegranate as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Better then me this year, my cantaloupe get to about the size of a tennis ball then just drop off the plant.

Ask a Question