Salad Greens Help

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I’ve been growing arugula / rockets from seeds that I bought, it has not been a success so far, what I did was to plant the seed in a pot and then once they sprout I see that that they are starting to wilt or dry so I transplant them each individually in a smaller pot. They are also under a good amount of direct sunlight, outside my window. When Inwater them they start to lay down so I used a spray instead..... i don’t know what’s wrong.... so now I did plant them in smaller containers and used a tray for bottom watering....
please help me.
I am growing kale, red lettuce, green lettuce, chinese spinach, chinese cabbage, arugula/ rockets, pls help. Thanks in Advance.
i still have more seeds.

Attachments

• E1CCB452-F79E-4BDF-BBEF-D4173AEFD055.jpeg
    E1CCB452-F79E-4BDF-BBEF-D4173AEFD055.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 104DCFDB-7052-45D0-967C-458DE2638D6E.jpeg
    104DCFDB-7052-45D0-967C-458DE2638D6E.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 057A13BA-2BD1-497C-839A-B90A4AB60C58.jpeg
    057A13BA-2BD1-497C-839A-B90A4AB60C58.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 123
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your pictures do not show close up detail so I cannot be sure, but, it appears that many of the plants are getting leggy and this is caused by not getting enough sunlight. Also it appears that many of the plants are growing on top of each other although this will not make them lay down. They should be thinned. A probable cause for this laying down is a fungus called damping off. Are any of the seedlings showing a narrowing of the stem at soil level? If any of them are showing this, get some whole ground cornmeal and sprinkle it around on the soil. Do not use a cornmeal that has the word enriched anywhere on the package as this cornmeal was polished before grinding and in do so all of the good fungal properties were removed. If you do have the beginning of damping off and don't cure it, it will kill a lot or all of your plants. Google damping off disease to learn more about it. Also, do not spray or water from the top down as this method of watering helps damping off fungus and other harmful fungi to grow. Always water from the bottom up. If you can take some close up pictures of the base of some of the seedlings it would be a big help in diagnosing what is going on.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Your pictures do not show close up detail so I cannot be sure, but, it appears that many of the plants are getting leggy and this is caused by not getting enough sunlight. Also it appears that many of the plants are growing on top of each other although this will not make them lay down. They should be thinned. A probable cause for this laying down is a fungus called damping off. Are any of the seedlings showing a narrowing of the stem at soil level? If any of them are showing this, get some whole ground cornmeal and sprinkle it around on the soil. Do not use a cornmeal that has the word enriched anywhere on the package as this cornmeal was polished before grinding and in do so all of the good fungal properties were removed. If you do have the beginning of damping off and don't cure it, it will kill a lot or all of your plants. Google damping off disease to learn more about it. Also, do not spray or water from the top down as this method of watering helps damping off fungus and other harmful fungi to grow. Always water from the bottom up. If you can take some close up pictures of the base of some of the seedlings it would be a big help in diagnosing what is going on.

Hi, I checked yesterday and I think yes definitely there’s some thinning of the root ends... some are still okay though.

Attachments

• 13E70D45-5E49-43EB-BFE2-0EA61F740BF0.jpeg
    13E70D45-5E49-43EB-BFE2-0EA61F740BF0.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 126
  • E408B803-3B7C-4AE5-A564-E35B90F876BF.jpeg
    E408B803-3B7C-4AE5-A564-E35B90F876BF.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 699E150D-8D52-443B-994A-AF89CA6B3279.jpeg
    699E150D-8D52-443B-994A-AF89CA6B3279.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 104
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I checked yesterday and I think yes definitely there’s some thinning of the root ends... some are still okay though.
Yep, looks like damping off disease. DOD is incurable once it has started but if a seed has not sprouted or, to a lessor degree, a tiny seedling without symptoms, DOD can be controlled. However, in your case I think you should just start over with minor adjustments on how you do it. Your soil looks like garden dirt/soil. If you must use this soil to start your seeds do the following, but it will be much much better if you use a sterilized potting mix or compost. If you use your garden soil you MUST sterilize it an treat it with cornmeal, a beneficial fungal growth enhancer. The pictures below show how I do it. I try to cook it about 180-200F for at least 1 hour.
1220.JPG
1219.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Yep, looks like damping off disease. DOD is incurable once it has started but if a seed has not sprouted or, to a lessor degree, a tiny seedling without symptoms, DOD can be controlled. However, in your case I think you should just start over with minor adjustments on how you do it. Your soil looks like garden dirt/soil. If you must use this soil to start your seeds do the following, but it will be much much better if you use a sterilized potting mix or compost. If you use your garden soil you MUST sterilize it an treat it with cornmeal, a beneficial fungal growth enhancer. The pictures below show how I do it. I try to cook it about 180-200F for at least 1 hour.View attachment 60122View attachment 60123
I really don’t gave a clue about DOD until I read it here, Wow, thank you. I will do that, thanks for your help, I appreciate it very much.

Ask a Question