Tomato Cucumber Salad!

Reaction score
Anyone in the mood for a tomato cucumber salad? I think i will be making this salad today and i am sincerely hoping it will help to cool me down a little.

Reaction score
That sounds delightful!How do you make yours? I like it to have dill, small green peas, cukes with pasta and a little light olive oil. A few olives are good too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm not sure if it's true, but I was told that it's unhealthy to eat tomatoes and cucumbers together. So I wouldn't eat this salad. Instead, I plan to have tomato sandwiches for supper:)

Reaction score
Uhm I wonder why and who says that, Claudine. I'd love to heard the logic behind that, because I have heard corn and potatoes together aren't healthy, but that's because those two are starchy foods full of calories! So it does make sense, but would love to know why tomatoes shouldn't go with cucumbers.

Reaction score
Anyone in the mood for a tomato cucumber salad? I think i will be making this salad today and i am sincerely hoping it will help to cool me down a little.

I am, Kammy! I love salads, but for some reason I don't enjoy them as much as I should, because for some reason they always turn up not the way I expected. Salads aren't my thing, sadly.

Reaction score
I am, Kammy! I love salads, but for some reason I don't enjoy them as much as I should, because for some reason they always turn up not the way I expected. Salads aren't my thing, sadly.
I think perfection comes with time so after trying your hands at salads for a while you will acquire some skills in that area; i think you should work with some simple recipes at first then you can try experimenting, i don't think my life would be complete without salads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Uhm I wonder why and who says that, Claudine. I'd love to heard the logic behind that, because I have heard corn and potatoes together aren't healthy, but that's because those two are starchy foods full of calories! So it does make sense, but would love to know why tomatoes shouldn't go with cucumbers.
I've just done some research on this topic. According to what I read, cucumbers contain ascorbic enzyme. This substance destroys Vitamin C in tomatoes. So eating these vegetables together isn't the best choice. But if you do it only from time to time it shouldn't do much harm:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I've just done some research on this topic. According to what I read, cucumbers contain ascorbic enzyme. This substance destroys Vitamin C in tomatoes. So eating these vegetables together isn't the best choice. But if you do it only from time to time it shouldn't do much harm:)
Well that's only one vitamin
Cucumbers also:
  1. Keep you hydrated
    Cucumber has 96% water content that is more nutritious than regular water, which helps in keeping the body hydrated and regulating body temperature. It also helps in flushing out the toxins from the body.
  2. Skin care
    The high water content and the presence of certain vitamins and minerals make cucumber an essential part of skin care. Facial masks containing cucumber juice can be used for skin tightening. Ascorbic acid and caffeic acid present in cucumbers can bring down the water retention rate which in turn diminishes the puffiness and swelling under the eyes. Cucumber skin also can bring relief to the skin caused by sunburn or windburn.
  3. Fight cancers
    Cucumber contains lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol – three lignans that have a strong history of research in connection with reduced risk of several cancer types, including breast cancer, prostate cancer, uterine cancer, and ovarian cancer.
  4. Control Blood Pressure
    Cucumber juice contains a lot of potassium, magnesium and fiber which are very helpful for regulating blood pressure. This makes cucumber especially good for treating both low blood pressure and high blood pressure.
  5. Beneficial for teeth and gums
    Cucumber juice is also beneficial for people with teeth and gums problems, especially in cases of pyorrhea. Cucumber is a good source of dietary fiber and this fiber massage in the teeth and gums.
  6. Aid digestion
    Digestive disorders, such as heartburn, gastritis, and even ulcers, can be cured by the daily consumption of fresh cucumber juice. The high water content and dietary fiber in cucumber are very effective in driving away the toxins from the digestive system and hence aid digestion. Daily consumption of cucumber can be regarded as a remedy for chronic constipation.
  7. Promotes joint health
    Cucumber is an excellent source of silica which is known to help promotes joint health by strengthening the connective tissues.
  8. Get rid of bad breath
    The photochemicals present in cucumber help kills the bacteria in your mouth which are responsible for bad breath. To get rid of bad breath, press a slice of cucumber in between your mouth with your tongue for at least 30 seconds.
  9. Nail care
    The high silica content in cucumber also helps prevent splitting and spoiling of nails of the fingers and toes.
  10. Relieve gout and arthritis pain
    Cucumber is a best ingredient for gout pain relief. When mixed with carrot juice, they can relieve gout and arthritis pain by lowering the uric acid levels.
  11. Cures diabetes
    The cucumber juice has been found to be beneficial for the diabetic patients. This vegetable contains a hormone needed by the cells of the pancreas for producing insulin.
  12. Reduces cholesterol
    Researchers found that some compound called sterols in cucumber may help reduce cholesterol levels.
  13. Stimulate hair growth
    Cucumber contains silicon and sulphur and thus a regular intake of cucumber can help promote healthy hair growth. For best results, mix cucumber juice with the juices of carrot, lettuce or spinach.
  14. Acts as a diuretic
    The water content of cucumber acts as a diuretic. It encourages the elimination of waste products from the body through urination. Regular intake of cucumber helps to dissolve bladder or kidney stones.
  15. Aid in weight loss
    Due to its low calorie and high water content, cucumber is an ideal diet for people who looking for weight loss.

1. Whilst tomatoes also:
1. Tomatoes are good for your skin Tomatoes contain a high level of lycopene, which is a substance that is used in some of the more pricy facial cleansers that are available for purchase over-the-counter. If you want to try tomatoes for skin care, you need to start with about eight to twelve tomatoes. Peel the tomatoes and then place the skin on your face with inside of the tomato touching your skin. Leave the tomatoes on your face for a minimum of ten minutes, then wash. Your face will feel clean and shiny. Some redness may occur, but should fade with time.
2. Tomatoes may help prevent several types of cancer A number of studies have been conducted that indicate that the high levels of lycopene in tomatoes works to reduce your chances of developing prostate, colorectal and stomach cancer. Lycopene is a natural antioxidant that works effectively to slow the growth of cancerous cells. Cooked tomatoes produce even more lycopene, so go ahead and cook up a batch of your mom’s famous tomato soup.
3. Tomatoes help maintain strong bones Tomatoes contain a considerable amount of calcium and Vitamin K. Both of these nutrients are essential in strengthening and performing minor repairs on the bones as well as the bone tissue.
4. Tomatoes help repair damage caused by smoking No, eating tomatoes is not the most recent fad to help you quit smoking. However, tomatoes can reduce the amount of damaged done to your body by smoking cigarettes. Tomatoes contain coumaric acid and chlorogenic acid that work to protect the body from carcinogens that are produced from cigarette smoke.
5. Tomatoes provide essential antioxidants Tomatoes contain a great deal of Vitamin A and Vitamin C. This is primarily because these vitamins and beta-carotene work as antioxidants to neutralize harmful free radicals in the blood. Free radicals in the blood stream are dangerous because it may lead to cell damage. Remember, the redder the tomato you eat is, the more beta-carotene it contains. In addition, you also want to keep in mind that cooking destroys the Vitamin C, so for these benefits, the tomatoes need to be eaten raw.
6. Tomatoes are good for your heart Because of the Vitamin B and potassium in tomatoes, they are effective in reducing cholesterol levels and lowering blood pressure. Therefore, by including tomatoes in your regular balanced diet you can effectively prevent heart attacks, strokes as well as many other heart related problems that may threaten your life.
7. Tomatoes are good for your hair The Vitamin A in tomatoes works perfectly to keep your hair shiny and strong. In addition, it also does wonders for your eyes, skin, bones and teeth.
8. Tomatoes are good for your kidneys Adding tomatoes without seeds to your diet has been proven in some studies to reduce the risk of kidney stones.
9. Tomatoes are good for your eyes The Vitamin A found in tomatoes is fantastic for improving your vision. In addition, eating tomatoes is one of the best foods to eat to prevent the development of night blindness.
10. Tomatoes are good for diabetics Tomatoes are packed full of the valuable mineral known as chromium. It works effectively to help diabetics keep their blood sugar levels under better control.

So eat lamb's liver for your vit C and enjoy cucumber and tomato salad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Headfullofbees, I wasn't trying to say that cucumbers aren't healthy or that we shouldn't eat them. It would be an absurd. Personally, I love cucumbers, they're one of my favorite vegetables, I can't imagine a picnic without them:) They're so delicious, they make a perfect snack.
What I meant is that it's better not to eat them with tomatoes, or any other vegetables high in Vitamin C. Have some tomatoes, wait for an hour or two, and then eat a cucumber:)
As for lamb's liver, I wouldn't touch it, I'm a vegetarian:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Headfullofbees, I wasn't trying to say that cucumbers aren't healthy or that we shouldn't eat them. It would be an absurd. Personally, I love cucumbers, they're one of my favorite vegetables, I can't imagine a picnic without them:) They're so delicious, they make a perfect snack.
What I meant is that it's better not to eat them with tomatoes, or any other vegetables high in Vitamin C. Have some tomatoes, wait for an hour or two, and then eat a cucumber:)
As for lamb's liver, I wouldn't touch it, I'm a vegetarian:)
My point was that there are so many other sources of vit C and so many other healthy benefits to be gleaned from eating cukes and toms, that I wouldn't worry about eating them together.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vitamin-C.php

Ask a Question