Raised beds with hardware cloth, cardboard & moles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, new to the GFs... looking forward to learning a lot and sharing experiences.
We just created 2 Raised beds, 3' x 8' x 18" in Orlando FL, We are Zone 9b with sandy "waterproof" soil.. And we have mole issues.

Question: We want to use cardboard to attract earthworms in the raised beds. What's the proper order for layering the cardboard, soil and compost?
We've attached 1/2' hardware cloth to the bottom of the raised bed to keep out the moles. Do we put the cardboard down first or should we put wood chips, pine tree (christmas tree mulch), or topsoil down first, then put the cardboard? The concern is if we put the cardboard down directly on top of the hardware cloth, the earthworms technically won't be inside the bed, since (from what i've been reading) they love to live just under the cardboard. If that's the case, then the moles will be getting fat..

thanks so much for the input!
A

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm no expert, but My Son-in-law (avid gardener) tells me you can lay cardboard for the initial season , but the moles will move in by the next season. They love the worms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I recommend mainly planting things that moles are known to not eat, and get a terrier dog or 2, if possible.

Put them around the perimeter of your lawn for a natural, effective and attractive mole repellent. Try Tagetes marigolds (NOT Calendula marigolds which are edible & attract moles), ornamental alliums, fritillarias, daffodils, paperwhite narcissus, garlic, pelargoniums, eucalyptus, and shallots. Castor bean plant also works, but it's poisonous and should not be used anywhere around pets or children.

(Based on my prior experience with sandy "waterproof" soil and severe gopher problems in Coastal N Calif, Zone 9b.

If growing edibles in coastal mole territory with very sandy soil, your best bet may be to grow those hydroponically, and/or grow them in containers which are raised up off the ground, such as on tables or benches.

Have fun and prosper!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Auto, go ahead and put the cloth under the raised bed, but the moles may enter through any gap at the sides. The cardboard is to prevent weeds? It should go on top of your beds and covered with some mulch, top soil or saw shavings. That is to prevent it from catching in the winds and blowing across the lawn.
Cardboard is for weed prevention, worms are a bonus to that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
It’s hardware cloth , growing medium , cardboard, then a layer of something to prevent the cardboard from blowing away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hardware cloth stapled to the bottom of the bed works for me. Some beds have been there longer than 10 years. Just be careful when and if you turn the soil you don't cut the wire.

I have all kinds of mole traps. Some work better than others but they are hard to trap. I hate moles, the only other pest I hate more are non-beneficial insects.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
United States
They sell mole bait shaped like worms here. But I don't use them. My sister-in-law that lives with us has a terrier type dog. She digs any mole or vole tunnels. i'd hate for her to get hold of the bait or an infected mole.
I live very rurally and don't worry about moles. Whatever grows out there as lawn, I just mow it . I've got 2 acres enclosed by pipe fence. More acreage for livestock.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They sell mole bait shaped like worms here. But I don't use them. My sister-in-law that lives with us has a terrier type dog. She digs any mole or vole tunnels. i'd hate for her to get hold of the bait or an infected mole.
I live very rurally and don't worry about moles. Whatever grows out there as lawn, I just mow it . I've got 2 acres enclosed by pipe fence. More acreage for livestock.
The moles don't bother me at all when the tunnel the lawn. Never put a trap there. However, they have killed several fruit trees but digging tunnels around the dripline. Smaller freshly planted trees dont have a chance if it's in their way. I have one spot where they killed 2 hazelnut shrubs. This year will be the 3rd attempt in the same spot. Need a ring of hardware cloth.

Did I mention I hate moles?

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Moles eat grubs and worms. Unless they tunnel through the fine roots of the plant damaging a large amount of the roots they don't bother the plants.
Voles eat roots and plant shoots. They did a real number on some nice lilies I had.

Anyway build the raised bed and staple cloth to the bottom if you want to keep moles out of the beds. As MOD said be careful you don't send a shovel through the mesh in a few years. Also be careful when digging with hands in the future. If the wire gets broken or the galvanized gets damaged you'll have rusted pointy things in the ground.

I have very sandy soil and moles all over my lawn and garden. I don't bother stopping them, it's a lost cause. My terrier didn't even bother anymore.

As for filling the beds and cardboard. If the bed is going on grass / sod. You can use the cardboard to smother and kill the grass at the base layer then fill over it. I would recommend checking out this thread (link) for a really good way to fill beds and large containers without buying in truckloads of soil and compost.

Ask a Question