Potato tortillas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?KKTYV 3 March 2015 Potato tortillas
Tortillas were made using baked Russian Blue Potatoes and nixtamalized corn. The ingredients were blended with water and mixed in a pot with Maseca flour to make the dough. The shaped balls were pressed into tortillas and cooked on a flat sheet in the oven in batches of nine for 14 minutes. The tortillas were stored in plastic containers in the refrigerator or freezer until required. These are gluten free and must be handled gently to remain in one piece until cooked. Pictures depict the process.
URL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Those actually sound really good, are they as soft as whole wheat tortillas? I am looking for something much more soft and easy to fold than traditional flour tortillas. I bet the potato variety is also better for you.

Reaction score
Those kind of look good. Durgan's recipes are written in a very serious, scientific tone, like the food preparation is an experiment in a lab.
It's like a document of everything he's made with his own produce.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Those actually sound really good, are they as soft as whole wheat tortillas? I am looking for something much more soft and easy to fold than traditional flour tortillas. I bet the potato variety is also better for you.

I make various tortillas. Whole wheat, bean, potato,rice so far. Some times only the nixtamalized corn. I always try to use corn and mix the other material.Placing in rhe microwave for 30 seconds just prior to serving softens them up. Storing in the airtight plastic container keeps them soft but they don't keep very long before molding. About five days appears to be the life span and if longer keep in the freezer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I do microwave my tortillas too, for about 20 seconds, but mine are store bought. I would like to male my own so I can avoid the preservatives found in store bought ones. Thanks for the great post Durgan. It looks easy enough to make them homemade.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I do microwave my tortillas too, for about 20 seconds, but mine are store bought. I would like to male my own so I can avoid the preservatives found in store bought ones. Thanks for the great post Durgan. It looks easy enough to make them homemade.

I experimented considerably before perfecting the technique. Actually I started with the store bought ones and disliked the fact that they could be kept so long before molding, which indicates a preservative- unknown.

Ask a Question