Planted a wildflower mix not sure what's a weed vs seedling

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 and 4
Country
United States
this is my first time trying to plant a wildflower mix from seed at my home near Detroit Michigan. I'm not sure what's a weed and what is a Seedling. thankfully I have two different locations geographically to experiment with. One being in Detroit the other one being in northern Michigan. the close-up shots are from my residence. The Square Garden is from my cabin up north where I planted a deer resistant mix. although it will be interesting to see what pops up in northern Michigan. My question is are either of these two plans weeds or seedlings of some sort.

Attachments

• 20180614_182939.jpg
    20180614_182939.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 358
  • 20180614_182525.jpg
    20180614_182525.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 363

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
this is my first time trying to plant a wildflower mix from seed at my home near Detroit Michigan.

Tough to say what those are. It depends what's in the mix.
It's worth mentioning that many mixes labeled as "wildflower mixes" are filled with non-native plants that aren't native to your location, or even to the US in many circumstances. While they still may be of some value to wildlife as far as nectar goes, they typically won't be nearly as beneficial as native species, which not only provide nectar but often double as a host plant to native insect larvae like caterpillars.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
First one might not be a weed. 2nd one is a bit dodgy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Depends on what you call a "weed". A lot of wildflower mixes have "weed" seeds because they include flowers that bloom just about everywhere in the wild!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Depends on what you call a "weed". A lot of wildflower mixes have "weed" seeds because they include flowers that bloom just about everywhere in the wild!

Yes, quite agree. Some dandelions have very exquisite flowers. Also, you can make drinks with the leaves. Some daisies are called weeds, but I do like them all long the busy dusty roads. They add a bit of fun and colour to the journey!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If a plant has a flower on the end of the stem, I call it a flower. A weed is just a poorly placed flower. As a side note you do have to be careful planting non native species. When they are moved to a new environment some plants can become very invasive and crowd out the native species. This is happening with both plants and animals at an alarming rate in Florida.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely flowers in Wild flower seed mix! Very pretty, Esther!

I had lovely coreopsis with chocolately spots around the centre. Very pretty!

Ask a Question