Peat Pots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not me. They do not rot fast enough for me to plant peat potted plants into the garden and it can restrict root growth. I can tear the bottoms up but the lateral growth gets peat-jacked so I cut them off totally. At least I do not have stacks of peat pots the way I have stacks of plastic pots from previous years. I like some plastic pots for new starts but beyond that I prefer a early failure material like peat. I would love to get some poo pots but never see them for sale.
I stopped using peat years ago due to the slowness of roots being able to grow through the peat. I have actually dug up large pieces of peat containers I planted 2 and 3 years prior. I only use plastic now. Many of the seed catalogues sell the poo pots and coir pots but for me they are just too expensive. Here, hardware stores usually sell the poo pots but so far I haven't seen the coir pots. But, they are too pricey too and I can use plastic for 3 or 4 years without them coming apart.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
On a sort of related note, maybe I should start a new thread. But has anyone tried these Jiffy starter kits? They are peat cubes I think. I bought a couple and am sort of leery about trying them.

91ENhPQ8A8L._AC_SX569_.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plastic tray from tomatoes, stand the cardboard centers from lavatory paper in them, fill everything with compost and plant in the tubes.
I have a tray of broad beans going, it's excellent for runners too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I was a teenager, peat pots were the only thing they were using. I like using 3 or 4 inch plastic pots which I can reuse every year. I keep the cheaper ones and I will transfer young plants to those and give them away to friends.

Ask a Question