Ornamental Trees and Shrubs with reddish purple foliage

Reaction score
You are totally right Claudine, that is a good picture and I noticed you slipped in another of my favorites there 'Royal Burgundy' .:)
' Cherry Bomb' is still my overall favorite though, especially as the color of all these Berberis gets more intense during the autumn and 'Cherry Bomb' goes the most fantastic shade of bright reddish purple.
As 'Rose Glow' is your favorite, I shall have to see if I can find a picture of it, in its full Autumn glory, so that you can see what it looks like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I would love to see it in its full Autumn glory:DShrubs with red foliage always look so pretty. Autumn is my favorite season of the year, this is why I like them so much:)

Reaction score
Claudine - when you said Autumn is your favorite time of year, you made me realize why I love reddish purple foliage so much, its because where I live, we don't get Autumn colors as such, the landscape never really changes from season to season.

Here are some more pictures, as promised, of one of your favorite Berberis - 'Rose Glow' . They are not quite, but almost in their full Autumn glory, but at least it will give you an idea of how they look in the Autumn.

Berberis Rose Glow(1).jpg

Berberis-Rose-Glow.jpg

shrubs-rose-glow-barberry.jpg

This last picture is probably the best one, for showing you how 'Rose Glow' would look in Autumn, I love it, with all those different shades. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for posting the pictures, I really like them! 'Rose Glow' looks so gorgeous. I love its color, but I also really like how small and round its laves are, they look pretty:)
In my country, during Autumn everything is yellow, red and orange, even the smallest parks look magical:D

Reaction score
Here is another beautiful and very striking tree with reddish purple foliage, that is well worth considering, especially if you are looking for something a little different, that really stands out.

This is Albizia Julibrisson or The Silk Tree - variety ' Summer Chocolate '

Silk Tree plus blossom insert.jpg

This variety, with its incredibly delicious name of ' Summer Chocolate ' has beautiful reddish purple, feathery fern like foliage

Silk Tree Branch plus blossom.jpg

and stunning fluffy cream and pink flowers, that continually bloom for many months.

These beautiful trees need plenty of sun and are also quite hardy. :) They are suitable for growing both, in the garden or in a large container.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Summer Chocolate sounds so delicious:) I really like the tree. It looks kind of evil though, like something that could be grown in a horror movie, haha:p. But it doesn't change the fact that it looks very pretty, I love the fluffy flowers!

Reaction score
Summer Chocolate sounds so delicious:) I really like the tree. It looks kind of evil though, like something that could be grown in a horror movie, haha:p. But it doesn't change the fact that it looks very pretty, I love the fluffy flowers!

Hadn't thought of it at the time, but now you mention it - these pictures do make it look somewhat sinister and think you are right. it would look very much at home in a horror movie :LOL:

Although in real life, this tree does look extremely beautiful and certainly not at all scary, the picture doesn't really seem to portray that :D

You'd love the adverts, that they always have attached to these trees, when they are on sale in garden centers, they always show large pictures, of white and milk chocolate bars, which look tantalizingly yummy :D

Reaction score
If you are looking for an eye catching little shrub with reddish purple leaves, then Loropetalum Chinensis or Chinese Witch Hazel would certainly be a good choice.

loropetalum chinensis rubrum.jpg

This beautiful little shrub, (this one is 'Rubrum' ) with its shiny evergreen reddish purple foliage and

loropetalum blossoms.jpg

vibrant pink flowers, looks stunning whether planted in the ground or grown in a container.:)

Loropetalum Chinensis or Chinese Witch Hazel will reward you with stunning looks all year round, as you can see from

loropetalum Plum Delight 2.jpg

this picture of Loropetalum 'Plum Delight' taken in the Spring, with the foliage color gradually changing throughout the year into full Autumn glory,

loropetalum plum delight.jpg

just like 'Plum Delight' in the picture above.

Loropetalums are very easy to care for, likes moist slightly acidic soil and is virtually pest and disease free.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
'Plum Delight' is stunning, its color is perfect, I really love it!:D I love plums, plum tea, dried plums, plum candies and now I know that I love plants with plum inspired names as well:D

Reaction score
'Plum Delight' is stunning, its color is perfect, I really love it!:D I love plums, plum tea, dried plums, plum candies and now I know that I love plants with plum inspired names as well:D

I like all of these Loropetalums, :) but like you ' Plum delight ' is definitely my favorite, and really love how it looks in the last picture, as reddish purple or plum colored foliage combined with lime yellows or lime greens are one of my favorite foliage combinations.
Yes Plums, plum colors, plum foods - just love anything plum too :D and as we are clearly both plum lovers, think we both find the name ' Plum Delight' very appealing, as in just two words, it sums up just about everything we like about plum anything :D

Reaction score
My mom always told me if a tree had purple leaves, it is reminding you that your mother loves you! I still remember that. It was just something special she told me.

Reaction score
My mom always told me if a tree had purple leaves, it is reminding you that your mother loves you! I still remember that. It was just something special she told me.

I've never heard that before, but have to say I think it is a lovely saying and it is clearly something that you hold very close to your heart - in which case this thread is a good place for you to visit on a regular basis, especially as we keep adding more and more trees and shrubs with reddish purple leaves.
Which brings me to ask, if you don't mind, is there a particular tree or shrub with reddish purple leaves, that holds extra special meaning for you ?

Reaction score
I've never heard that before, but have to say I think it is a lovely saying and it is clearly something that you hold very close to your heart - in which case this thread is a good place for you to visit on a regular basis, especially as we keep adding more and more trees and shrubs with reddish purple leaves.
Which brings me to ask, if you don't mind, is there a particular tree or shrub with reddish purple leaves, that holds extra special meaning for you ?
There is not a special tree for me. It was just one of my mom's ways of saying I love you, and that I needed to remember that. Just a cute saying to remind me of her love for her children.

Reaction score
Here is another beautiful tree with reddish purple foliage, that is well worth considering - Malus of The flowering Crab Apple.

Malus-Royalty-Flowering-Crab.jpg

Malus or The Flowering Crab Apple are a very popular ornamental tree, not only because of their beauty and abundance of beautiful blossoms, like these here

malus 'royalty blossoms'.jpg

but also because they are very low maintenance and fairly drought resistant once established. So if you are looking for the best of both worlds, reddish purple leaves and an abundance of deep pink blossoms, then these beautiful trees would certainly be a rewarding choice and there are quite a few varieties to choose from such as

malus 'ruben'.jpg

This one called ' Ruben'

malus moerlandsii 'profusion'.jpg

or this one called 'Profusion'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, it's one of the most gorgeous and unique trees I've ever seen, I love it:D. The tree in the last picture is especially beautiful, I like not only its color, but also its shape. I've never seen trees like this in my area, I wonder if it's possible to grow them in my climate zone.

Ask a Question