Nut Leaf Weevil (Strophosoma melanogrammum)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in CT and have a small in-ground garden bed that gets plenty of sun and is located next to a large pine tree. I have noticed small gray bugs on my Mexican sour gherkins, chard and bean plants. They appear to be the nut leaf weevil which likes to munch on pine needles and often drops to escape being caught. I am wondering if they will harm my plants? They seem to enjoy hanging out on the gherkin vines under the shade of the pine tree in the afternoon and are in no rush to give up the spot.. a bit rude don't you think? I see no damage so far but would like to know if they can become a problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
With this thread generating so much conversation, I would just like to ask it clear and simple... Are weevils evil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your post gave me a chuckle and also piqued my interest so I googled weevils in my state.

So, from my quick search, it seems that weevils cause damage to grains and evergreens. And nut leaf weevils like fruit tree leaves. But none of the species seem to be a threat to vegetable gardens really.

I'd say, if they are not doing any harm at this point in the growing season, they are probably not that much of a worry going forward. You might want to keep your eye on your pine tree for damage though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your post gave me a chuckle and also piqued my interest so I googled weevils in my state.

So, from my quick search, it seems that weevils cause damage to grains and evergreens. And nut leaf weevils like fruit tree leaves. But none of the species seem to be a threat to vegetable gardens really.

I'd say, if they are not doing any harm at this point in the growing season, they are probably not that much of a worry going forward. You might want to keep your eye on your pine tree for damage though.

Thanks for the info and your interest. I'll have to stop killing these harmless bugs then :) I can't blame them for enjoying my garden this year

Ask a Question