New lawn subjected to hostile weed takeover

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good afternoon!

My wife and I just recently built our first home and are coming across an issue with a fairly aggressive "weed" that seems to be spreading rather quickly.

The lawn has recently been reseeded and I am doing my best to get it to grow in during the summer months but again this weed seems to be popping up everywhere.

More or less I am looking to see if anyone can identify it, has dealt with it or could recommend the best course of action for removing it permanently.

For reference we are located in western Pennsylvania (pittsburgh area)..

Thanks in advance for any and all insight you might have.

52095863030__950A7708-356D-48E5-9014-32AA00F8075F.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you would update your profile as to where you live it would be much easier to identify the weed..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you would update your profile as to where you live it would be much easier to identify the weed..

Chuck,

Thanks for your reply. I've updated my profile to reflect the area I had mentioned in the post. Western Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh area).

Can't find anything that looks to be an identical version online. One person we had run into said that it could possibly be Japanese Knotweed.

Either way just reaching out to get verification and also see if anyone had successfully dealt with it before.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It could be knotweed. I have something similar that comes up in my yard, but it doesn't have that red tinge and it doesn't act particularly invasive.

Your grass looks a little sparse, I wonder if planting some fast growing native lawn grass would force it out?

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
dig some up and see if has a whitish, tuberous root.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Could I suggest that it may be
Rumex sanguineus
or a species of Rumex....I have it near my pond and it likes damp conditions (in my case)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It must be really annoying to see such a mess in your garden bed. But I must say from the picture you have given your lawn looks sparse. It can create a favourable environment for pests, this can cause serious damages to your grass roots. I think you should take care of this problem as well.This may be the after effect of overfertilizing or overwatering.And about the weed, I have seen something similar in my parent's space, that's the reason why chose to reply in here.I don't have any pictures of them to share here but I saw something similar online. After much efforts(it actually created an overall mess to their bed) they sought professional services from backyard landscaping designs calgary. They revitalised the whole area with a grass replacement as it couldn't be fixed any further. So what I intended to say was, be careful when you use weedicides and other fertilisers which I think, damaged your lawn. As you have already done so much to take this out of your lawn, I would strongly suggest you consult some professional services in your locality and make it a beautiful spot.

Ask a Question