Need to figure a plan for watermelon support

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got plenty of garden supplies like bamboo stakes 4ft and 6ft stakes different sizes an trillis netting. I may need to buy something to support the fruit. I planted some watermelon seeds. An its my first time growing watermelon. Need to make sure I can support the vines, while also having something to support the watermelon fruit in the air.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have thought about growing watermelons vertically. Haven't done so yet since I can never pick a watermelon at the right time. But I thought about putting a cattle panel up against two metal fence posts and using something as a hammock to hold the fruit, but don't know what to use as a hammock. It would need to be a mesh to allow water to drain and air to circulate around the melon.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I haven't found a good way to support them in air and the vines actually do better running on the ground, IMO. These holders are a wonderful solution for me. Available on Amazon. Best solution I've found.

1679703255676.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have never tried growing them vertically. Growing them on the ground has worked really well for me. My melon patch is surrounded by wood chips. With the fast draining sandy soil they top layer manages to stay dry. Never had any issues. My biggest problem is during heavy down pours the melons split.

MOD

Ask a Question