Nectarine trees versus peach trees?

Discussion in 'Fruits' started by cmdr-apollo, May 23, 2013.

1. cmdr-apollo

cmdr-apollo New Member

I'm currently attempting to grow a nectarine tree - it's tall and growing taller rather than wider, so I'm going to have to work on pruning it to encourage it to grow properly, I think.
    If this works well, I was thinking of starting a peach tree (from a pre-started tree, not a seed).

I don't want to get ahead of myself here but if I successfully manage this nectarine tree, will I be able to successfully manage a peach tree or does it require an entirely different approach? Any thoughts?

cmdr-apollo, May 23, 2013
    1. Advertising

2. cmdr-apollo

justusforus New Member

I never started a peach tree but have had them come with the property. I can't see there would be much of a difference between a peach and a nectarine. I am sure with all the knowledge on this forum, someone may have a more definitive answer than mine.

justusforus, Jan 7, 2014
  3. cmdr-apollo

thomas pendrake New Member

My understanding and experience is that nectarines and peaches are pretty much the same. They are essentially varieties of the same fruit. Just be sure that the variety you are trying to grow is suited for your zone. Peaches or nectarines that grow in Miami may not grow in Nebraska. I had Ceylon peaches in Miami and they are perhaps the tastiest peach in the world. I haven't seen any in north or central Florida.

thomas pendrake, Jan 30, 2014
  4. cmdr-apollo

gata montes New Member

As I grow both peach and nectarine trees -I would say that they should be treated as one and the same thing - as they both have the same requirements - which means regular pruning just after harvesting in order to keep them fruiting and disease free the following year.
    It is also a good idea if the top is getting too carried away - to lop out the centre of the tree - in order to allow plenty of light to reach the fruit so that it ripens fully - as well as keeping the tree at a manageable height for harvesting :)

gata montes, Jan 30, 2014