Nasturtiums for more than color?

Reaction score
I was hoping I would get to stuff grape leaves, but the dormant grapevine I bought never bounced back. I have been waiting and watching since the end of May, but it's still just a brown stem. I think it's time to give up.

I am so sorry about your grape vine. We planted a few and only one survived. I really need to go check on it . We have several wild grape vines growing here at the house. They don't produce very many grapes though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Zigs, this is the tread that I was talking about! Thank you for finding it, I was starting to think that it never existed and I only imagined it:p
ChanellG, as for the recipe, usually I find fried foods tastier, but I would like flowers on my plate to still look like flowers, so I think that I'll try baking them. Thank you for the tip.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Zigs, this is the tread that I was talking about! Thank you for finding it, I was starting to think that it never existed and I only imagined it:p
ChanellG, as for the recipe, usually I find fried foods tastier, but I would like flowers on my plate to still look like flowers, so I think that I'll try baking them. Thank you for the tip.

Claudine, I think if I had refrigerated the stuffed blossoms for a bit to allow the cream cheese to firm up again they might have held up a bit better. Also, if I had used a batter, that might also have made a difference, but baking is more healthy than frying. I saw some fried daylilies on Pinterest yesterday that I found interesting: http://pinterest.com/pin/321796335845486533/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am so sorry about your grape vine. We planted a few and only one survived. I really need to go check on it . We have several wild grape vines growing here at the house. They don't produce very many grapes though.

Thanks, Shellyann. The grapevine was one of the clearance plants I got at Lowe's at the end of May. It was less than $2 so it wasn't a major loss, but it would have been nice to see some leaves appear at least. From what I've read it takes a while to see grapes and I was planning on growing it in a container and training it into a tree shape - which limits the fruit, but I'll have to try again later with another plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine, I think if I had refrigerated the stuffed blossoms for a bit to allow the cream cheese to firm up again they might have held up a bit better. Also, if I had used a batter, that might also have made a difference, but baking is more healthy than frying. I saw some fried daylilies on Pinterest yesterday that I found interesting: http://pinterest.com/pin/321796335845486533/
Wow, the fried daylilies look delicious, almost like doughnuts:D. Do you have a recipe for them? I think that I would like them even more than stuffed nasturtiums.
To be honest, I had no idea that daylilies are edible.

Reaction score
Thanks, Shellyann. The grapevine was one of the clearance plants I got at Lowe's at the end of May. It was less than $2 so it wasn't a major loss, but it would have been nice to see some leaves appear at least. From what I've read it takes a while to see grapes and I was planning on growing it in a container and training it into a tree shape - which limits the fruit, but I'll have to try again later with another plant.

I bet it would be neat if you trained one to be like a tree! I am not sure that I have the patience to do something like that or even the time right now. Perhaps one day. Are you thinking about buying any vines for the fall to plant? I would like to but I doubt that we will be able to afford it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow, the fried daylilies look delicious, almost like doughnuts:D. Do you have a recipe for them? I think that I would like them even more than stuffed nasturtiums.
To be honest, I had no idea that daylilies are edible.

Go back to the photo and then click on it. It will launch a new web page where you can find the recipe. You don't use Pinterest to keep up with things that you find online? I had read about daylilies being edible a while ago, but I've never had the opportunity to try them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I bet it would be neat if you trained one to be like a tree! I am not sure that I have the patience to do something like that or even the time right now. Perhaps one day. Are you thinking about buying any vines for the fall to plant? I would like to but I doubt that we will be able to afford it.

No, I am waiting to start a new job and anticipating I will be very busy. Also, it stays hot here well into the fall so I think the best time to plant a grape vine would be after the last bit of winter has gone. I'd need to choose one that could withstand a lot of heat and a lot of rain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Go back to the photo and then click on it. It will launch a new web page where you can find the recipe. You don't use Pinterest to keep up with things that you find online? I had read about daylilies being edible a while ago, but I've never had the opportunity to try them.
Thank, I found it. And no, I've never used Pinterest. I don't use Facebook either. I already spend too much time in front of my computer, so I really prefer not to know about other interesting websites:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank, I found it. And no, I've never used Pinterest. I don't use Facebook either. I already spend too much time in front of my computer, so I really prefer not to know about other interesting websites:p

LOL, I can understand that! I resisted FB for two years, ignoring friend requests and telling people "no thanks." Then I got involved with a literacy organization and was asked to create an account for that. Shortly after I was using it and Twitter to promote my articles after Helium sent out a graphic showing how using FB and Twitter could significnatly increase your traffic. It works too, though it is very time consuming and even tedious at times.

Pinterest is great because not only can you conveniently save useful information, you can see what other people have saved on the same topic. Also, unlike you regular bookmarks, you see a page of photos with captions that helps you find exactly what you are looking for without having to click a link first to see if it's the one you nee.d

Reaction score
No, I am waiting to start a new job and anticipating I will be very busy. Also, it stays hot here well into the fall so I think the best time to plant a grape vine would be after the last bit of winter has gone. I'd need to choose one that could withstand a lot of heat and a lot of rain.

Well congrats on the new job! Yes usually it is very hot here well into the fall as well. This year has been amazingly mild though compared to most summers. We have had so much rain that it is about to wash us away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well congrats on the new job! Yes usually it is very hot here well into the fall as well. This year has been amazingly mild though compared to most summers. We have had so much rain that it is about to wash us away.

We have also had a milder summer, thankfully. Not many heavy storms either, though now the rain moves in for a week or more at a time. Though with all the rain that fell yesterday I didn't even get an inch of water in the collection bins.

Reaction score
We have also had a milder summer, thankfully. Not many heavy storms either, though now the rain moves in for a week or more at a time. Though with all the rain that fell yesterday I didn't even get an inch of water in the collection bins.

The Farmers Almanac says that we are suppose to be in for a very cold winter. I am not looking forward to it at all. How are the winters in New Orleans? Here it can get cold, down to freezing but we don't have much snow. We do get some ice at times though and it shuts almost everything down because we don't have all of the wonderful equipment that the Northeners do to clear the roads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The Farmers Almanac says that we are suppose to be in for a very cold winter. ...How are the winters in New Orleans?

I hope the Almanac is wrong about that. No one likes to hear the words "bitter" and "cold" in the same sentence. The winter's here are not usually that bad; 2010 was one of those that was bitter cold, however. In New Orleans it may snow once per decade, and it quickly turns to slush, though the last time it snowed we saw real flakes, and where it settled in piles and on rooftops, it lasted for several hours.

Ask a Question