Nasturtiums for more than color?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have grown nasturtiums in the past and I am just waiting for temperatures to cool down slightly more so I can plant new seeds. In addition to being beneficial in the garden to deter aphids from other plants, nasturtium flowers are also edible. I've recently learned that some people stuff them in the same way as squash blossoms.

Have any of you eaten nasturtiums before? What about other edible flowers?

Reaction score
I have seen them put into the middle of ice trays and frozen. Then they float around the punch bowl and look very pretty. I have also seen them decorating cakes but the cakes were online. The ice trays were in person. I thought it was a neat idea. They are very pretty and really draw the eye to the food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm pretty sure that we already have a thread about edible flowers. Personally, I still dream of eating them but so far I haven't tried any. Eating nasturtiums sounds like a lovely idea:) I'm sure that they will be tasty!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that we already have a thread about edible flowers. Personally, I still dream of eating them but so far I haven't tried any. Eating nasturtiums sounds like a lovely idea:) I'm sure that they will be tasty!

I'm pretty sure I did a search before I started this one and nothing came up. :)

I have seen them put into the middle of ice trays and frozen. Then they float around the punch bowl and look very pretty. I have also seen them decorating cakes but the cakes were online. The ice trays were in person. I thought it was a neat idea. They are very pretty and really draw the eye to the food.

Flowers floating in ice in a punch bowl does sound lovely. Don't know when I'll ever be serving punch and have the opportunity to use that idea, but I'll have to keep it in mind.

I got some zucchini plants yesterday and they already have little flowers. I want to let the blossoms get a bit bigger so I can stuff them, though maybe I should just take them off and use them now. The plant is too young to let it produce fruit and I don't want to stunt it by having any start to grow.

I've seen pictures of nasturtium and squash flowers stuffed similarly to grape leaves, but I haven't tried making my own yet.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ex wife ate the seed off one today raw, you could see where the name came from looking at her face. Nasi tortum, nose twister :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ex wife ate the seed off one today raw, you could see where the name came from looking at her face. Nasi tortum, nose twister :D

ROFLOL, Zigs! I read somewhere that the seed could be used as a substitute for capers. I guess they have to be pickled first? Not that I am a fan of capers, but I figure if the nasturtium produced a lot of seeds I could save them and turn them into substitute capers. When I told my mom though, she made a weird face, lol.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I did a search before I started this one and nothing came up. :)

Flowers floating in ice in a punch bowl does sound lovely. Don't know when I'll ever be serving punch and have the opportunity to use that idea, but I'll have to keep it in mind.

I got some zucchini plants yesterday and they already have little flowers. I want to let the blossoms get a bit bigger so I can stuff them, though maybe I should just take them off and use them now. The plant is too young to let it produce fruit and I don't want to stunt it by having any start to grow.

I've seen pictures of nasturtium and squash flowers stuffed similarly to grape leaves, but I haven't tried making my own yet.

I have seen the squash flowers stuffed but never the nasturium..... hmmm interesting concept there. I do enjoy the stuffed grape leaves from time to time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have seen the squash flowers stuffed but never the nasturium..... hmmm interesting concept there. I do enjoy the stuffed grape leaves from time to time.

I was hoping I would get to stuff grape leaves, but the dormant grapevine I bought never bounced back. I have been waiting and watching since the end of May, but it's still just a brown stem. I think it's time to give up.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

we've noticed the xenforo search thinger doesn't always pick up keywords.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
we've noticed the xenforo search thinger doesn't always pick up keywords.

It picked up the keyword, I had a thousand hits of edible everything we've all discussed recently. However, if a discussion is old, it won't come up in a search. I've tried using search to find discussions I know exist because I am the one who started them without success. Sometimes you can find what you are looking for via other keywords or by searching the name of the person who you think started a particular discussion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I found a recipe for stuffed nasturtiums: http://www.food.com/recipe/stuffed-nasturtium-flowers-126169
In my opinion it looks beautiful and I believe that it may be really yummy:D

Claudine, this recipe is similar to what I use when I stuff squash blossoms. I mix minced herbs with softened cream cheese and fill the flowers after carefully removing the pistil. The first time I did it, I put them in the oven; the second time I tried frying them. The oven worked better because they held their shape better; when I tried to fry them, the cheese leaked out and it was a mess.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It picked up the keyword, I had a thousand hits of edible everything we've all discussed recently. However, if a discussion is old, it won't come up in a search. I've tried using search to find discussions I know exist because I am the one who started them without success. Sometimes you can find what you are looking for via other keywords or by searching the name of the person who you think started a particular discussion.

I searched for just edible flowers, with no member name & found this one,

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/edible-plants.788/page-2#post-10819

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I searched for just edible flowers, with no member name & found this one,

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/edible-plants.788/page-2#post-10819

That is a general discussion about any edible plant. When people discuss edibles they usually don't mean flowers, which is a separate discussion. Nasturtiums for more than just color is an even more specific discussion about a plant used to deter aphids that also happens to be edible. That makes it unique, and the discussion you linked is over 100 days old with that last post having been over two months ago so it wouldn't be considered active.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ahh, you were looking for one specifically on Nasturtium flowers?

Ask a Question