Local farmers--Veggies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
People often ask me if I grow veggies, and my answer is no, that there are so many offering all around me at cheap prices that its not worth it. Here is a picture of what I just got yesterday from a farm, 2 mins from me. And got it all for $4.00. Reality of it all, with my time, etc, it would not pay for me. And she has much more, and willing to give away cucumbers too on Monday morning, big baskets of it. And tons of squash. that is 3 cucumbers there. Grilling the eggplant today. Love that shape and color.
four dollar veggies.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
You are fortunate that you can get such good produce locally, and I wonder if I'd have taken up gyo if we had similar quality and prices here.
We don't. We have over-priced, cosmetically-perfect rubbish. Falsely ripened, it is tasteless.
Supermarket tomatoes, as a result, have a shelf-life measured in weeks, and that just is not natural.
Having said that, even if we were to have a source of food as good as can be grown ourselves, I now get so much fulfilment from growing my own food, and have made so many friends at the allotments, I wouldn't give it up unless I had to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I first heard of what an "Allotments" are in the UK a few years ago. Found that interesting. I guess you do develop a nice closeness when your all out taking care of your allotments. We don't have that over here. We just have farms owned by folks, big ones and little ones. Some of my neighbors will have a little veggie plot in their back yards. We also have lots of Amish everywhere around, so road side stands are open with their produce. I spend my time with my flowers and plants, lot of my property is too shaded for a good veggie plot anyway. And coupled with the "my time cost" versus what I can get veggies for, and there are just the two of us.
I believe in the city more there are community gardens available, not sure how they work. I live out here in the county.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very nice haul, Esther!
We have an incredible farmers' market, farm stands dotted about and also some community gardens and greenhouses. I'm on the edge of the city, but with lots of green space and farms within a mile. I still like to grow some of my own, even though I agree with you it would be cheaper to buy what I need, ultimately.
I enjoy the growing part though and I like giving what I've grown to other people. Gave a bag of pole beans and a couple of summer squash to friends yesterday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
That's my idea too, @Esther Knapicius, why plant vegetables when there are fresh and cheap vegetables around the corner. But in our case, we are not near to the market and there's no nearby farm here. As with our backyard garden, we plant for the purpose of harvesting for fun and not to save money. Vegetables we harvest seem to have a different taste although I know it is only psychological.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I used to go to a roadside veggie stand but I found their prices excessive. A dollar per ear of corn. I do want to support local farmers but feel that I really shouldn't be expected to pay them to make a killing instead of a living.

at the grocery store I do look for local produce first, then beyond if necessary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is quite affordable to get fresh vegetables from local farm. Here, anything that homegrown, cost so much more than at my local market. You're lucky and I can totally relate to why you don't want to grow them in the garden. I would do the same.

Reaction score
I can totally see what yo are trying to say here, OP. To be honest I'd not grow anything if I cold find all the veggies I need in the place where I will be living. I've always liked 0ornamentals more ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Love the ornamental veggies also. Ran across some beets, that have the spiral circles when you cut them. Have to eat them come to think about it. Just ate the greens last week from them. Got them from another farmer, and good size bunch for $2.00.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a problem with space constraints right now so growing any amount of veggies is hard. I like to shop at the farmers markets, but I find that the prices can be a bit high too. I love the idea of supporting local growers, but they also need to give me grown local prices.

You got a great basket of veggies in that picture there and they look perfect. I would have to say that you got an excellent deal on your bounty.

Reaction score
I love going "shopping" in my backyard garden! Today we have loads of cucumbers and zinnias!

There is a big taste difference in vegetables that are minutes old when I cut them up, vs. the vegetables that are in the supermarket that are weeks old when they are put on the shelf. And, when I drive to the middle of town to go to the farmers market, it costs me twice what Esther paid and when I figure in the one hour round trip the gas will cost me, something, also. For me, having vegetables In the garden with my flowers is perfectly logical.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I really am very impressed with you guys who grow veggies. The only real success I have had is tomatoes and maybe a few lettuces in the warmer weather & some herbs but I did love "shopping" in my garden Kansas Terri. :)
So convenient and satisfying to pop outside to add to dinner. I'll keep trying. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Those vegetables look delicious! You're lucky you live in such a great place, Esther Knapicius:)
I buy most of my vegetables too, because I don't have a garden anymore. But the truth is that I truly miss growing tomatoes, cucumbers and radishes. It was so much fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I have a problem with space constraints right now so growing any amount of veggies is hard. I like to shop at the farmers markets, but I find that the prices can be a bit high too. I love the idea of supporting local growers, but they also need to give me grown local prices.

You got a great basket of veggies in that picture there and they look perfect. I would have to say that you got an excellent deal on your bounty.

We have a Sunday market here where food enthusiasts gather. The vendors are not the ordinary vendors in the market but part timers who want to showcase their farm produce. When we have time, we go there to buy vegetables and fruits and other delicacies. They have deer meat or wild boar meat, goat's meat, duck and other meat products. With vegetables, they are almost complete even with French beans.

Ask a Question