Lemon Tree Progress

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
20150801_084752_Night.jpg

I took this picture today and thought it would be a good time to share it and talk about the progress of my lemon tree.

Lemon tree's original leaves have never been in great condition, and they recently started turning yellow, as soon as they did I decided to remove them. Now it only has a few original leaves left. The tree is now booming. I would say about 15 or more new shoots are coming in and it's even flowing. (y):D

The leaves on my tree like to curl up a little. Would insufficient light cause this? I feel like I have tried everything else.

I have wanted to remove that bottom branch, but has been in recovery since I got it. Once the new leaves have grown in, should I remove it?

I love seeing it's progress at the moment. The new leaves are going to fill it out, and give it some balance.

Reaction score
Hi again Rudygar

Although I'm thrilled to hear that you little tree is now progressing - especially as its probably particularly rewarding for you after the initial problems you had - I first have to ask - as your leaves are still yellowing and curling up - are you absolutely sure that you have done everything mentioned in my post here

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/my-little-lemon-tree-needs-a-little-help.4662/

because I have to say that what you have described - something tells me that you haven't :D

Although I would agree that removing the bottom branch would be a good idea - especially as it would give your tree a better shape as well as better balance - apart from the fact that lemon trees are best pruned during the winter months - as you tree is currently struggling a bit - I think you would be wise to hang until it shows full signs of recovery - particularly as doing that at this moment in time - may well put it back and take it longer to recover.

:cautious: nearly forgot - as I saw sunshine coming through your window - it may also benefit from a little time outside too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
because I have to say that what you have described - something tells me that you haven't :D

The only thing really is not enough light. It gets its Epsom salts, about once every 3 weeks. The original leaves stayed about the same for 3 months before they started yellowing. I let it dry out a little before I water it.

:cautious: nearly forgot - as I saw sunshine coming through your window - it may also benefit from a little time outside too :)

I will do that. Give it some morning sun before it gets to hot. I would say it gets about 4-5 hours a day of direct sunlight.

Reaction score
The only thing really is not enough light. It gets its Epsom salts, about once every 3 weeks. The original leaves stayed about the same for 3 months before they started yellowing. I let it dry out a little before I water it.

I will do that. Give it some morning sun before it gets to hot. I would say it gets about 4-5 hours a day of direct sunlight.

Ah - as lemon trees require at least 6 hours of sunlight a day and preferably between 8 - 12 hours - I thinking that as yours is currently only getting 4-5 - that may well be the problem.

However - although they don't mind direct sunlight and do in fact thrive in it - as yours has been kept inside and being put into an environment where it suddenly gets way more sunlight than its used to - might be a bit too much of a shock for it - I think it might be an idea to introduce it to its new environment gradually - which is easily done - by first choosing in a spot that recieves bright light but not direct sun - and then every week moving it further into a sunny position - until it eventually receives full sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
However - although they don't mind direct sunlight and do in fact thrive in it - as yours has been kept inside and being put into an environment where it suddenly gets way more sunlight than its used to - might be a bit too much of a shock for it - I think it might be an idea to introduce it to its new environment gradually - which is easily done - by first choosing in a spot that recieves bright light but not direct sun - and then every week moving it further into a sunny position - until it eventually receives full sun.

That's valuable information. I will do that. It's tough because I live on a second floor apartment and don't have many options. I would love a bay window. I actually move him twice a day to sunny spots, but it will all pay of when its single lemon ripens. :p:notworthy::LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Is your tree getting any kind of air movement ? mine will do the same thing in the winter if I don't keep a fan going in the room where I keep it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks healthy enough to me since I haven't have a lemon tree growing to know the differences. But you know what, instead of looking at your lemon tree, I am staring at your dog! What a beautiful this photo truly is!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I agree with the suggestion to give it more outside time; from that photo it looks quite healthy though!
Cute dog. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our lemon tree is being infested by something we still have to discover. The lemon tree in the front yard have already lost 2 main branches, leaving it with one branch. In the side of the house, the lemon tree had lost one branch. The dead branches have some holes, like pin holes so I guess it's an insect that was doing it. Until now we are still trying to determine the culprit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Lemon tree spent the early morning outside today. I will try and do this often leaving him out a little longer every day.

I am staring at your dog! What a beautiful this photo truly is!

Thank you. She is a sweet girl and is I. Way to many of the photos I take :LOL:. I thought the dog fans would get a kick out of it.

@Beth_B The leaves curl a bit, but the seem healthy and green. A flower bloomed last night and it smells so good.

Reaction score
Nice job @Rudygar It seems your tree is really progressing a lot! By the way, I really liked the photo, you got a really nice model over there :) Very cute dog! It'd seem you wanted to show off both your tree and your dog ;) Good job and I hope things keep going in that direction.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Trellum. :D:) Thank you for your comment and I must admit, I can't help but show off my dog too:p I am really enjoying learning about my tree and I look forward to sharing in the future.

Ask a Question