Lawn mower for garden on the hillside

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Hi,

I'd like to buy a gas lawn mower for a garden that's partially (about 1/3 of the property) on a slope and i'm wondering, whether i should go for a mower with high rear wheels or a small one.

These two are my top picks, I'd like something with a Honda engine that's ideally not too wide. The first Honda mower has a width of only 57cm, but has small wheels, I'm worried it they won't pose a problem while driving up the hill. The latter from AL-KO has large rear wheels but its wider and I'm not sure if those wheels won't make it harder to turn the mower and do 180 turns.

This would be my first gas lawn mover, so far i used corded, what would you recommend?.

Honda HRN 536 VK

AL-KO 521 VS-H PREMIUM

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Depending on the slope, some oil pans cannot support long term use on steep hills. You might like a self propelled version. Rear wheel drives lift an turn easier as the weight of transmission is nearer the pivot wheels. Steep slopes used to require a two cycle engine where oil was mixed in the gas to prevent oil starvation and seizure but these days battery power would serve that function too.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think that kind of mower would be far too heavy for a sloping garden. It would be better to go for one that is much lighter and I think one with a rechargeable battery would be easiest to use and manoeuvre . We use such mowers here, and we recharge them from a solar system Zigs has rigged up in the shed.
Welcome to the forums @Petr1131

Ask a Question