Landscaping Ideas for Zone 5a?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I've been curious as to just what I ought to plant in the front yard that would be inviting-looking. I'm interested in ornamental grasses and either annual or perennial flowers - just something that stays looking nice throughout the season. I'm toying with the idea of some variety of sunflower along the fence line...but what to do, otherwise?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
just something that stays looking nice throughout the season. I'm toying with the idea of some variety of sunflower along the fence line...but what to do, otherwise?

I have a few ideas for you. Try Heliopsis helianthoides. It's a native US plant that resembles native sunflowers. Gets about 4-5 ft tall, and looks best when you grow many of them close to each other.

IMG_3342 copy.jpg

You may also consider Penstemon. It doesn't flower long, but it looks great even after it's done flowering.

IMG_1388 (2) copy.jpg

IMG_5992 copy.jpg

Gaillardia is a great choice. If you deadhead it, it'll flower from late spring until first frost. It's also a member of the sunflower family. Here I planted 4 plants about 8 inches apart.
IMG_1463 (2) copy.jpg

and the plant that I recommend to everyone is Orange Milkweed. It's my favorite plant. Looks great, is necessary for Monarch caterpillars, and around here it blooms from early June to late August, sometimes into September. Looks best when you plant a few within inches of eachother.

IMG_3271 copy.jpg

IMG_1902 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I particularly love the Gaillardia! I'll have to look into those. Thank you for the suggestions!

Most places sell Gaillardia seeds, they grow very easily, sometimes flower the first year. Mine is Gaillardia 'Goblin'.

Whenever you can, try to use species native to the US, especially around your part of the US. Makes a world of difference!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Since I live in a dry, relatively cool climate, I was also thinking of playing around with Ice Plants and Hen-and-Chicks! I grew both AGES ago, though at a much higher, colder altitude than I am at now. Does anyone have fun recommendations for those types of ground cover plants? Creeping Jenny varieties?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Karl Forester Grass is a great hardy grass that sends some plumes up in July. Northwind switchgrass might be another good choice for your area... it's a blue variety with narrow plumes. Some form of Shasta Daisy looks nice as well. My working assumption is that the area is full sun to partial shade. Sunflowers are nice too, and probably should be staked. You can always grow them by seed, which is nice if you have the time.

Ask a Question