kitchen window sill herbs

Reaction score
I have been considering this as well; a little herb garden inside. I do have a huge kitchen window in which I grow some easy to grow house plants, but have been wondering what herbs I could add that would be happy. It's a east facing window and gets bright sun for half the day. I really would like to try some dill but have a feeling it might get to hot there.

I also have a sky light, but that only gets high in the sky sun.

It can't hurt to try can it? Maybe I'll put out some seeds today and decide what I want to try!

Reaction score
I have been considering this as well; a little herb garden inside. I do have a huge kitchen window in which I grow some easy to grow house plants, but have been wondering what herbs I could add that would be happy. It's a east facing window and gets bright sun for half the day. I really would like to try some dill but have a feeling it might get to hot there.

I also have a sky light, but that only gets high in the sky sun.

It can't hurt to try can it? Maybe I'll put out some seeds today and decide what I want to try!

There are a few herbs that do very well for kitchen herbs. Parsley,basil.sage,and thyme I tried this with mine and I had some luck with them the best one is sage mine grows all year long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I grew parsley indoors on the windowsill once; it did okay, but it wasn't until I moved the plant outside that it really took off. This was a couple years ago and it's still alive now. Of course I was visited by swallowtail butterflies so much of it was eaten by caterpillars, but the plant is still surviving and even set some seed.

Reaction score
Yes, a big window sill is a great thing:D. Currently, I dream about having a double window sill though, because I'm running out of space. It would be great if every window had two window sills:p
Have you thought about growing herbs in a hanging basket indoors? I'm pretty sure that it would look nice.
I'm thinking about something like this:

contemporary-indoor-pots-and-planters.jpg

I fell in love with this picture. It reminds me of my parent's house. I don't live with them anymore and my flat is really small. There is no place for the garden outside, so this will be a perfect solution for my gardening dreams. I found the same flower pots and I bought seeds. I think I'll try to grow basil, parsley, mint. Wish me luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@claudine, does your window open? You might do better with a window box that could be mounted to metal brackets that fit onto your window sill. Picture block letters and having two "C" shaped pieces of metal that fit on the sill like an upside down "U". (Actually, you would want more of a U than a C. Like those planters that go over porch and patio rails.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds like a great idea, ChanellG, but I have a big radiator under my window:( It's attached to the wall, so I can't move it. There's not enough space for a window box:cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This sounds like a great idea, ChanellG, but I have a big radiator under my window:( It's attached to the wall, so I can't move it. There's not enough space for a window box:cry:

The box would "sit" on the outside of the window, Claudine. As long as the window is one that opens by raising up, that is. I suppose it could also work on a window that opened out like a door, but it might require different hardware from what I described previously. Can you put something on the radiator like a board and use it as a plant stand during the warm part of the year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
During spring and autumn it's sometimes rather cold here, so I don't want to keep my roses outside. It would be risky. Also, I want to be able to look at them right after waking up, so the box would have to be inside my room;)
I think I could put something on my radiator, but flower pots may be too heavy:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
During spring and autumn it's sometimes rather cold here, so I don't want to keep my roses outside. It would be risky. Also, I want to be able to look at them right after waking up, so the box would have to be inside my room;)
I think I could put something on my radiator, but flower pots may be too heavy:(

Your radiator should be heavy metal so using it as a plant table for a few herbs should be fine. The plants for the window box should be ones that don't grow as well indoors, like herbs for cooking. Is your apartment very high up?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yes, it's very high up, because it's an old, German building.
I don't really need more space for herbs, because I keep them in the kitchen anyway, with my mother's plants. I need more space for my miniature roses:love: I want to have more of them! And I really want to grow them indoors, in my room:)
As for the radiator, unfortunately it looks rather delicate and it's narrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yes, it's very high up, because it's an old, German building... I need more space for my miniature roses I want to have more of them...
As for the radiator, unfortunately it looks rather delicate and it's narrow.

Ah, well... I received miniature roses for Valentines Day. When I repotted them I discovered there were six different plants in the one small pot! The smallest plant was rather beaten up by recent rain and lost all it's leaves. Another of them looks like it could be in peril as well, but the largest ones (maybe 5 inches tall) seem to be doing well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Ah, well... I received miniature roses for Valentines Day. When I repotted them I discovered there were six different plants in the one small pot! The smallest plant was rather beaten up by recent rain and lost all it's leaves. Another of them looks like it could be in peril as well, but the largest ones (maybe 5 inches tall) seem to be doing well.
It's normal, they always sell a few small plants as one rose:) Usually, I have four of them per pot. Six is a lot!:)
I've never tried to separate them, I transplant them together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's normal, they always sell a few small plants as one rose:) Usually, I have four of them per pot. Six is a lot!:)
I've never tried to separate them, I transplant them together.

I love it when I discover my plants are actually 2 or more individual ones in a pot. When I separate them I automatically increase the size of my garden. I should have transplanted and fed all of them immediately after Valentines' Day, but I waited and then I hurt my back and was out of commission for a week.

Reaction score
I love the hanging basket posted by Claudine, would you mind sharing where I could purchase it. I live in an apartment so when I am not gardening at my Mom's house I am stuck with window sill gardens. I would recommend starting with basil, parsley, and maybe thyme. In my experience these are easy to grow inside even throughout the winter. Once you master these I think you could add some additional herbs to your repertoire. Could you let us know what exactly you are trying to grow, perhaps we could be of more assistance.

Reaction score
I live in California so I don't really have the need to do that, but with that being said I have had success growing herbs on the windowsill. As long as they are getting enough direct, natural sunlight there should not be too much of a problem.

Ask a Question