Do you Keep Herbs Growing in Your Kitchen?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
We have basil, oregano, cilantro, and lemon thyme growing in our kitchen, as well as a jar that we keep green onions sprouting in.
We've got wheat grass inside as well, but that's for our cat rather than for cooking with.
Do you grow herbs in your kitchen? We had to set up a special little place for ours, so it takes up some counter space but it's totally worth it; I love being able to pick my herbs straight from the kitchen counter and put them in my cooking.
Which herbs are your favourite to grow indoors? I've been wanting to plant some mint, but it's not something I use in my cooking very often.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We don't grow many herbs indoors, although we are in zone 8a or 8b (depends on the interpretation of the zone map) as you are. When winter comes with frost temperatures, I move the thyme, oregano, bay trees, and marjoram into the barn area with a plastic drop curtain to protect them from cold winds.
I do take basil cuttings and keep a couple on the kitchen window sill, moving them down to the counter if temperatures are dropping below freezing. I don't grow cilantro since neither of us likes the taste, and I agree with your opinion of mint--we just don't use much of it except for garnish or adding to iced tea. Considering how invasive it is, we keep a small, very small, amount of mint in a container.
Don't you just love oregano? It is so versatile, easy to grow, and dries or freezes well. We use a lot of oregano!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm in a little old house surrounded by trees so I don't have enough light to grow indoor herbs. :( I grow what I can outside in summer and dry or freeze for the winter. Mint comes up every year, profusely, in part of my yard. Most of it gets mowed along with the lawn but I use it sometimes in rice or stir-fries.

I had sprouting green onions and carrot tops going pretty well last winter, though. With the leaves off the trees I actually have more sun in winter. When we get sun, that is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am in Michigan and winter is very brutal. We go through days without seeing the sun so I can't grow any herbs indoor. My kitchen window is also block by the neighbor's two level house, so I don't get enough light coming in. If I could keep any herbs indoor, I would love to have basil, cilantro and mint.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't have room in the kitchen to grow anything. I would have to hang it from the ceiling and that will not go over to good with the rest of the family.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We actually don't have plants inside our kitchen. The only plant we have is the potted welcome plant that is a specie of a water plant and not an herb. Our herbs and vegetables are in the backyard, just outside the kitchen. We have a pepper plant though that's thriving by the kitchen door. It now has lots of fruits and some are already red, ready for picking.

Reaction score
I don't have any in my kitchen right now, but I plan to get several pots of fresh herbs, so I can keep them growing there. I'd like to keep a small herb kitchen garden ;) I love using fresh herbs to cook my meals :) I want to get some marjoram, basil and mint. I will definitely get other herbs like ''Epazote''.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I used to grow a lot of herbs in my previous kitchen, but most of them died, because it was too dark there.
Now, I live in a new apartment. So far, I've only planted basil and lavender here. They're doing great!

Reaction score
I do keep herbs in my apartment, but you have to be careful with not over watering them because their soil can get moldy fast. If you have basil, all you need in sun. Whatever you do with the poor plant, if it's in a sunny spot it will thrive.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I grow basil, cilantro, rosemary, mint and parsley. I have a very hard time keeping cilantro alive. Mine usually lasts a few weeks at most then dies.
Wheat grass is a great idea! I heard it is one of the healthiest things for you. I actually buy wheat grass powder to take when I feel sick and it definitely helps. I will look into growing wheat grass in kitchen :)

Ask a Question