Is anyone growing ginger?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My ginger seems to have perished. It was doing so well sitting on the windowsill and then suddenly one day it started turning brown. I've continued to water it even though the green tops have died off, hoping it will send up another shoot. I really need to dig it up and see what's going on - yet more thing to add to my to do list.

Reaction score
My ginger seems to have perished. It was doing so well sitting on the windowsill and then suddenly one day it started turning brown. I've continued to water it even though the green tops have died off, hoping it will send up another shoot. I really need to dig it up and see what's going on - yet more thing to add to my to do list.
Is the bulb of the ginger mushy? If the bulb is mushy it's a goner. If not put the pot outside to see if it comes back, depending on if your climate is warm enough. Don't water it until the soil feels dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The rhizome is all shriveled up. It's odd; it was growing quite well for several months and then suddenly it started dying. I was careful to not over water it, but this one particular time I was away from home for a day or so it just gave out. I'll have to start another piece outdoors, I guess.

Reaction score
Thinking about i purchase ginger at the farmers market weekly as i love to taste it in my dishes or just for making a cup of tea and the thought have never come to my mind to lend my hands to growing it...now that you mentioned it i must make a go of it and see how it goes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thinking about i purchase ginger at the farmers market weekly as i love to taste it in my dishes or just for making a cup of tea and the thought have never come to my mind to lend my hands to growing it...now that you mentioned it i must make a go of it and see how it goes.

If you enjoy it that much, you should definitely give it a try! After you have grown it you should come back to this thread and let us know how it went! I have a white-flowering ginger plant and recently someone told me it was edible. He said he also eats the flowers. I still want to grow the one from the market myself to see if it flowers and compare it to the one I have.

Reaction score
If you enjoy it that much, you should definitely give it a try! After you have grown it you should come back to this thread and let us know how it went! I have a white-flowering ginger plant and recently someone told me it was edible. He said he also eats the flowers. I still want to grow the one from the market myself to see if it flowers and compare it to the one I have.

I think i'll give it a try but first i'll need to research and see when is the best time to plant ginger and the desired conditions for it to flourish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I would like to start growing Ginger myself, there are a lot of heath benefits from Ginger I have been studying.
I was unaware that Ginger could help with certain cancers like Colorectal and Ovarian. It also helps with boosting your immune system. I'm going to try it out this coming up year for summer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yes, @Lauren Chaste, ginger has quite a lot of very good benefits for your health, beginning with digestive issues. I may just have a cup of lemon and ginger tea before I retire for the evening. My pretty flowering ginger needs to be repotted - I still can't believe it might be edible!

Reaction score
My father had some ginger plants in the back yard that produced beautiful white flowers that smelled similar to honeysuckle. He potted some for me one year when he was thinning them out and his were killed in a freeze, but I still have mine. The rhizomes look just like the ginger you get in the store, but we couldn't figure out a way to tell if the ones in his yard were edible. Recently I got some ginger from Whole Foods and it started to sprout so I decided to see if I could grow it. I had it sitting on the counter for a while and then put it in dirt a few weeks ago. The first green shoot just poke up through the soil and now it is forming leaves! I'm so excited about this.

Have any of you ever grown ginger before? Any tips? I will probably keep it indoors until it needs to be repotted and then have some inside and outside in containers.
I haven't grown it, but I love the taste of ginger. Especially in sweetened tea. Not to mention it's supposed to be good for our digestion. Your thread caught my eye, because I considered retiring to the Bahamas and starting a ginger or a garlic farm down there. Please continue to post about your ginger growing experiences. I would love to hear more.

Reaction score
I've grown ginger a few times. My ginger never flowered and I didn't harvest the root. I grew it for the purpose of aromatherapy . The leave have the greatest smell when you break them apart. I used the basic ginger You find in the grocery store. It grows very easily in zone 7 from spring until fall. I am going to try grow turmeric this year too,it grows similarly.
I love the smell of the leaves. Do you do something with them like make potpourri?
I also started my ginger plant just from a knob of ginger from the grocery store.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I haven't grown it, but I love the taste of ginger. Especially in sweetened tea. Not to mention it's supposed to be good for our digestion. Your thread caught my eye, because I considered retiring to the Bahamas and starting a ginger or a garlic farm down there. Please continue to post about your ginger growing experiences. I would love to hear more.

Well, I am going to divide and repot the plant that I thought was strictly ornamental, then I am going to get a piece of culinary ginger from the market and see if I can get it going. I had a piece that sprouted once; maybe I'll get lucky again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love the smell of the leaves. Do you do something with them like make potpourri?
I also started my ginger plant just from a knob of ginger from the grocery store.

The leaves on my plant don't have a smell that I know of, but it produces clusters of beautiful white flowers with an amazing fragrance. Someone who grows the same plant told me that he eats the flowers, but I find this hard to believe. He sent me some information on it, but I am not yet brave enough to try it myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I recently planted a piece of ginger which was already showing signs of developing roots when I found it in the supermarket. How soon should I expect to see signs of leaves if it decides to grow?

Reaction score
On the subject of ginger I have a couple of questions. Is it possible to grow ginger successfully in North America? When should you dig it up, and how do you know its ready to be harvested?

Ask a Question