Is anyone growing ginger?

Reaction score
Fascinating! Especially the idea of keeping it in a container in case of moving. And growing it from a piece you've bought in a supermarket. I wonder if you could just keep snipping away at the leaves and whatnot, keep it small that way?

I'm also very aware people are talking about good drainage. So that means I've got to plant it as close to the house as possible if I do plant it (because the ground is highest there), along with sage and garlic - I think I really need a raised bed, the soil I've got is so heavy, it'll be useless for these crops.

More work to do! Mind you, I so love getting out to work in the garden, its very energising.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Fascinating! Especially the idea of keeping it in a container in case of moving. And growing it from a piece you've bought in a supermarket. I wonder if you could just keep snipping away at the leaves and whatnot, keep it small that way?

I wouldn't bother; like with potatoes you'd likely be better off growing it in a laundry basket. That way you can easily turn out the soil to harvest the rhizomes without having to dig, and you also wouldn't have to worry about any that have been left underground.

Reaction score
Interesting concept, growing something in a laundry basket! I certainly have one that I don't use for laundry (its currently being used to store old shoes at the bottom of a wardrobe, so another life as a plant container would be fine!).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Interesting concept, growing something in a laundry basket! I certainly have one that I don't use for laundry (its currently being used to store old shoes at the bottom of a wardrobe, so another life as a plant container would be fine!).

There are some photos in the mushrooms thread of oyster mushrooms being grown in a plastic laundry basket and there may be some in another thread on using one for potatoes. There are lots of things you can grow in a laundry basket, just try to a blue one; supposedly it is the color that leaches the least.

Reaction score
I love ginger as a beautiful flowering plant, and used to grow it in North Carolina, just for those gorgeous blooms. Here where I am now, in the Pacific Northwest, ginger is not hardy through these winters. It's the one plant I believe I miss the most!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love ginger as a beautiful flowering plant, and used to grow it in North Carolina, just for those gorgeous blooms. Here where I am now, in the Pacific Northwest, ginger is not hardy through these winters. It's the one plant I believe I miss the most!

From what I understand, edible ginger doesn't really flower much.

Right now I have mine growing indoors. I know before long it's going to need more space, but I haven't decided what I want to do about it. The best thing would probably be put it outdoors once winter is over in a large pot and let it do it's thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I bought a ginger root at the store this week, and have done the overnight soaking part, and then I planted it in a pot this morning. When it sprouts, I am planning on setting it outside for the summer, and will have to bring it inside in a pot again when it starts to get cold this winter. I am excited to see how it turns out since this is my first trial.
Next, I am going to try a mango !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, my ginger was doing great and then the green tops started dying. I have ornamental ginger outdoors, but had the edible one sitting on the windowsill. The outdoor one always bounces back, but this is the first time I've tried growing the edible variety. I was so excited and now it doesn't look like I'll get to enjoy my harvest.

Reaction score
Well, my ginger was doing great and then the green tops started dying. I have ornamental ginger outdoors, but had the edible one sitting on the windowsill. The outdoor one always bounces back, but this is the first time I've tried growing the edible variety. I was so excited and now it doesn't look like I'll get to enjoy my harvest.

How long did you grow the edible ginger for? The root is the part you eat, so even if the green tops die, there might be a whole big root under there that you can eat. The green top on my edible ginger has died and grown back several times over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
From about mid to late August until now. It should be sending up more shoots and making new rhizomes. I was waiting for the weather to warm up so I could replant it outside, but I think it may have suffered for lack of water. I came back from a couple days away and my peace lily was all wilted even though I had watered it before leaving and it's usually okay.

Reaction score
This is my second go round with ginger. The first one grew beautifully. The foliage grew to about 3 feet tall before I impatiently yanked it up. It was worth it though.

The ginger had grown to about the size of the female hand. Now I'm experimenting again to see if I can grow ginger better indoors or outdoors. Both are looking very good right now.

I'm extremely excited because I've found a plant I can't kill; well with the exception of impatiently yanking them up that is. Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, I am waiting to see if mine will come back. I found some terra cotta pots priced really cheap yesterday. I hadn't brought much cash with me so I have to go back to the store, but I may dig up my ginger and see if it still has any signs of life. If so I'll replant it and stick it outdoors. Wish me luck!

Reaction score
I was inspired by all this talk of growing ginger as it's a spice I love, so I bought some from the store this week and I'm going to plant it at the weekend. My question is, what can you do with it once it's grown? I've used the root fresh and sliced up in cooking, but can you dry it and grind it up for flavoring? And I like the sound of ginger tea - does anyone know if that's made from the leaves or the root?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My question is, what can you do with it once it's grown? I've used the root fresh and sliced up in cooking, but can you dry it and grind it up for flavoring? And I like the sound of ginger tea - does anyone know if that's made from the leaves or the root?

It would probably be easier to cut it up into manageable pieces and freeze it, rather than trying to dry and grind it up. If you wanted to use it as a flavoring in foods you could slice, chop, mince or even grate it, depending on what you are making/wanting to do with the ginger.

To make tea you can just cut off small piece, chop it up, and then pour hot water over it. If you look at response #13 on the previous page I included a link to more information on ginger.

Reaction score
I've grown ginger a few times. My ginger never flowered and I didn't harvest the root. I grew it for the purpose of aromatherapy . The leave have the greatest smell when you break them apart. I used the basic ginger You find in the grocery store. It grows very easily in zone 7 from spring until fall. I am going to try grow turmeric this year too,it grows similarly.

Ask a Question