Indoor Flowers

Reaction score
I am not able to go outside in the heat or full sunlight anymore. I just love flowers, and I have missed having some around. I was wondering if there might be a few flowers that I could grow indoors. Our house stays on the coolish side, so that is something to take into consideration. I do have a small dog, so they could not be poisonous. Is there anyone else trying to make a flower garden indoors?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I read somewhere that you can grow tulips indoors. I haven't tried it though because I don't know where to get tulips. Here's an article about it from the National Gardening Association. I looked for pictures. They would like this:
Forcing%252520Tulips%252520in%252520Water%25255B4%25255D.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those tulips look great! If you have good direct light I would think you could grow a number of plants, I know the peace plant will bloom and will not care if the house is cool but it maybe harmful to your pet if the pet bites the plant. I tend to have plants that do not have flowers indoors a little research will find some plants that will meet your needs I am sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Helagumamela, these tulips are absolutely gorgeous!

I grow miniature roses indoors. They're my favorite plants, I love them:) They don't need much space. If you take a good care of them, they will give you a lot of blooms :)

Reaction score
helagumamela,
Thanks for jostling my old brain. I hadn't thought of tulips, but I do remember reading how to fo that in my Horticulture books from school. As I remember they're not hard to force. I know tulip bulbs can be bought in the spring. I'll have to call around, and see if they have a fall season. I could get several colors, and make a window full. I'm going to dig out my old books.

Reaction score
I read somewhere that you can grow tulips indoors. I haven't tried it though because I don't know where to get tulips. Here's an article about it from the National Gardening Association. I looked for pictures. They would like this:
Forcing%252520Tulips%252520in%252520Water%25255B4%25255D.jpg

What a beautiful picture! I really love tulips! As to the OP... try with kalanchoes! Those bloom indoors! The only bad thing about them are the aphids, but I always fixed it with some soapy water. Those plants come in so many colors (the flowers) you won't regret it. If you take care of them you should get something like this:

kalanchoe2bhot2bpink2b1-19-11.jpg

kalanchoe.jpg

Or these:

2395529278_36ff1b8c64.jpg

calceolaria+planta_1.jpg

We know these as ''monederos''. Not very common, have seen them only once...

Or African violets:

home-african-violet.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
What a beautiful picture! I really love tulips! As to the OP... try with kalanchoes! Those bloom indoors! The only bad thing about them are the aphids, but I always fixed it with some soapy water.

I didn't know that soapy water can kill aphids. This is a very much appreciated bit of information! Some of our plants are being infested by these critters. I didn't know that this can do the trick. :p

Reaction score
Although there are an abundance of both flowering and foliage plants that are suitable for growing indoors Inatoy - unfortunately when it comes to choosing plants that would be safe for pets and children - the list of plants that would be suitable and especially the flowering varieties becomes extremely restricted.

So as its always better to be safe rather than sorry when choosing plants that would be safe for both children and pets and as some of the plants already listed on this thread - could be dangerous to pets and particularly Kalanchoes - I thought that you might find this link

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/anima...nd-non-toxic-plants?field_toxicity_value[]=01

extremely useful - as whenever you come a cross a plant that you like - you can always double check for yourself whether it would be safe or not :)

However although there aren't very many flowering plants to choose from - you may wish to consider either of the following - especially as both are known to be non-toxic to both pets and children and should - providing the atmosphere inside you home isn't too dry - grow extremely well

Aeschynanthus or The Lipstick Plant - which comes in various colors and can be grown in a variety of ways

Lipstick Plant - Aeschynanthus - red.jpg

Lipstick Plant - Aeschynanthus orange.jpg

Phalaenopsis Orchid or Moth Orchid - which come in a wide range of exquisite shades

Moth Orchid - Phalaenopsis - Pink.jpg

Moth Orchid - White.jpg

Moth Orchid - Pink Triple.jpg

Reaction score
I didn't know that soapy water can kill aphids. This is a very much appreciated bit of information! Some of our plants are being infested by these critters. I didn't know that this can do the trick. :p

Yes, it worked all the time :) I just filled a sprayer with some soapy water and sprayed the plants, but be careful to remove that mix if your plants usually sit under the sun. If they don't then no problem, no need to remove it :)

Reaction score
Although there are an abundance of both flowering and foliage plants that are suitable for growing indoors Inatoy - unfortunately when it comes to choosing plants that would be safe for pets and children - the list of plants that would be suitable and especially the flowering varieties becomes extremely restricted.

So as its always better to be safe rather than sorry when choosing plants that would be safe for both children and pets and as some of the plants already listed on this thread - could be dangerous to pets and particularly Kalanchoes - I thought that you might find this link

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/anima...nd-non-toxic-plants?field_toxicity_value[]=01

extremely useful - as whenever you come a cross a plant that you like - you can always double check for yourself whether it would be safe or not :)

However although there aren't very many flowering plants to choose from - you may wish to consider either of the following - especially as both are known to be non-toxic to both pets and children and should - providing the atmosphere inside you home isn't too dry - grow extremely well

Aeschynanthus or The Lipstick Plant - which comes in various colors and can be grown in a variety of ways

View attachment 3668

View attachment 3670

Phalaenopsis Orchid or Moth Orchid - which come in a wide range of exquisite shades

View attachment 3664

View attachment 3667

View attachment 3666

I had never hear about the lipstick plant, it's really beautiful :love: You picked the most pretty pics (y) I'll surely try to find that lipstick plant once I settle in my new country :D

Reaction score
I had never hear about the lipstick plant, it's really beautiful :love: You picked the most pretty pics (y) I'll surely try to find that lipstick plant once I settle in my new country :D

Thank you and yes I think they're gorgeous too. In fact I feel more than sure that once you've had one - you'd soon be looking for more in different colors - as not only are they extremely easy to care for - but bloom off and on throughout the whole year too :)

Reaction score
Oh yeah!!! I did the same with kalanchoes, I liked to get every single color of it I could find. I could find many! I hope the lipstick plant comes in a lot different colors, hopefully orange and purple, I love those two colors :love:

Ask a Question